Adapting a Slow Cooker Recipe for Instant Pot: Tips to Avoid a Burn Notice and Keep it Thick

hipponator

I’ll be honest and say I don’t use my instant pot a ton, but Id like to start using it more. I have a favorite recipe that uses frozen chicken breast, 2 small cans of cream of chicken, a can of rotel, and taco seasoning, but the problem is it is a slow cooker recipe. How can I adapt this recipe to the instant pot without it being soupy? I assume the ingredients mentioned would be too thick and give a burn notice? Would I just add the liquid and then sauté afterwards to thicken? Any help is greatly appreciated!

I think this would work if you just layer, broth or water on the bottom, chicken, seasoning, rotel, and soup on top…no stir.

When I want to pressure cook something without worrying about burn notices, diluting a sauce, etc, I use the pot-in-pot method.
The most frequent pot/container I use is an aluminum cake pan that fits either in my 6 qt or 3 qt IP, which I'll sit on top of any trivet/rack I have, with water underneath in the liner/pot (sometimes I'll lightly lay a sheet of aluminum foil on top to keep any drips on the underside of the lid from falling into the "container").
Then you could just put all the ingredients in the container the same way you would if putting them in a slow cooker, and they'll stay in those same positions during pressure cooking.
As for timing, chicken breasts alone and not overlapped take only 6-7 min, so you'd just add a bit more time for any soups and other ingredients that would partially insulate the chicken (solid dense ingredients would insulate more) and also to compensate for time the heat/steam take to get through the walls of the container (more time for taller walls or thicker walls).

@familyguyfan84 that would be the pot in pot method. You can do it with lots of options. If specifically doing that with only IP liners, it would have to be the 3 qt in either the 6 or 8. Don’t try to use the 6 in the 8, it will get stuck.

Back