Experiencing the Infamous 'Stinky Seal Ring' Issue for the First Time – Here's My Journey

2dancer2

I have now experienced it. I have had my 3 IP's for several years, and I use them weekly. I have read numerous posts about stinky seal rings. Never dealt with it until now. I washed, I soaked in vinegar water, I washed, I soaked in bleach water, I tossed and am replacing. Once you get a strong stench in one it truly will not go away. I kind of thought ya'll were crazy when you complained about it. So strange, years with no problems then BAM! Stink, bad stink! I now feel your pain. Luckily they are cheap to replace. I have some spares already but I can't find the blasted things, so I am ordering more.

@2dancer2 - I hope you bought the Instant brand Sealing Rings for your replacements. You can buy new rings (single or double, clear or color) on Amazon but BE SURE YOU BUY THE INSTANT POT BRAND OR YOU COULD VOID YOUR INSTANT POT WARRANTY, if it’s still in effect, or may run into problems with the third-party rings. The same also goes for some stores, like Kohls, Walmart, etc.
OR you can buy them directly from Instant Brands and pay shipping - https://www.instanthome.com/product/instant-pot/parts

I get it from time to time even though I soak it after each use. When that happens I take it outside and let it sit in the sun all day. Seems to do the trick.

@kadifry Yep. Neighbors have dogs and don't always clean up, so I'm afraid of flies getting on them too. Though I could wash afterwards. What I have done though is hang it on a curtain rod so the sun hits it.

I haven't experienced this yet, but would spraying it down with rubbing alcohol or even vodka kill the odour? I find alcohol is great for getting rid of strong odours in general.

Back