Experiencing the Infamous 'Stinky Seal Ring' Issue for the First Time – Here's My Journey

@2dancer2it’s an oxidizing gas. Also referred to as “the universal antidote.” Lots of resources on that topic on telegram—but not sure fb allows it because it has a side effect of curing things.

Guess I’m lucky, either it’s the things I cook or that I always toss the lid in the top shelf of the dishwasher with the seal on top. No lingering odors going on 6 years.

Always works: Because silicone has scales/pores that expand with heat and trap the odors they have absorbed when they cool down, you have to reheat the silicone ring to allow the odors to escape. Put the washed silicone ring in a 250 to 350 degree F oven for 20 minute increments until it meets the sniff test. I am still using my original silicone rings without a smell problem using this method.

Don’t throw it out. Put it in the oven as others have suggested. It really works. Only twice have I had the dreaded stink in over 6 years. Those who have not, count yourself lucky. It’s not because you wash in the dishwasher or anything else. You just haven’t experienced it. We are talking about something you can smell from the next room. Bad. Baking in the oven works and then cooking something else. It definitely does go away.

I'd put the old one out in the sun for several hot days and then store it. I always have a replacement and end up going back to the old one. It's like it eventually tightens up with time.

Hang it outside for a day or two. Removes even the worst smells. Liquid smoke, curry, vindaloo, chiles, coffee, everything.

Back