How Do the "Less Normal More" Options Affect Cook Time and Temperature in Manual Mode?

pinkcoral

I apologize if I’m asking an ‘Asked and answered!’ question. I looked but didn’t really see an answer that I understood for my exact question. As I understand it, the Less Normal More options impact the temperature and cook time when using certain of the program settings. My question is when using manual function what impact do those buttons have? They seemed to be cooktime options? Before I started messing with them they appeared to offer 20mins 35mins and I don’t recall. But I thought the -/+ buttons simply adjusted the cook time?

Hi, for most buttons they are preset cooking times, but you can add more or reduce time as wanted. Manual just lets you set your own time for the start, those three have no barring on that. They are for 3 temperatures for saute and for slow cook as well.

On my pot (duo) the less/normal/more options in manual mode allow me to save three different cook times as defaults. I have my most commonly used times stored and can access them quickly without having to +/- the times.

@pinkcoral - The “Less”, “Normal” (or “Medium”) and “More” are mainly temperature levels for non-pressure functions like SAUTÉ and YOGURT. If you have an older model IP, like the LUX or the older DUO, you may have the ADJUST button for the 3 cooking levels. On the newer IPs, just press the non-pressure function button several times (or use the dial) until you get the level you want/need.
They can also be used for the pre-set pressure functions for times. Per AbbyWalker, “Less normal and more can be used to cycle through different default times you have saved. I have my pressure cook function set so that "less" is for shorter cook times, "normal" for times in the middle and "more" is for longer cook times so if I've made something with a 5 minute cook time and then cook something with a 90 minute cook time I'm not standing there holding the + forever.”
Check your User Manual. If you don’t have your manual any more, you can get the PDF version online. Look on the tag on the back of the outer pot, by the cord, for the model and version (if there is one). Then go here for the User Manual in PDF form - https://www.instanthome.com/support/instant/resources

The more, less, buttons are for the saute function for my pot and also the slow cook function which is never the same as a regular slow cooker. The + and - are for setting the time yourself which I have only ever used ( have not used any of the preset buttons except the saute and the yogurt)

As I understand the less, normal, more it is like using an old pressure cooker like I used back in the 50s on the stovetop. Turn down the heat for less, or raise the heat for more pressure. If I’m wrong please correct me.

Back