Understanding Pip Cooking: Why Isn't It Used More Often?

I don’t get burn notices and with pip I would have to worry about how much room it’s taking up also I almost always end up sautéing something first so then the liner is already dirty.

Never even considered it for the things I cook in the IP. Never had a burn notice, but I do mostly soups and stews.

I've cooked rice PIP after sauteing panang and other curry dishes, it's a little tricky but has worked out well but mostly for rice and veggies in two pots with nothing else but water in the IP.

Some foods naturally contain more fluid and are not as prone to burning. Grits or oatmeal has a higher chance of getting a burn notice and works great for PIP.

I cooked a PIP egg and potato casserole and went by the recipe but I had to add another ten minutes of cooking time for whatever reason. It eventually cooked through. I have had a burn notice twice in five years of using my IP once or twice a week and both times I did not seat the gasket properly.

I use the PIP method of cooking now and them, and one time I did get the burn notice. I said "what the heck" then I was laughing so hard that my husband came to see what was going on. I was laughing at myself, I was in such a hurry I forgot to put water in the first pot and I have been cooking for longer than most of you have been alive. It happens to all of us. I have had my 2 IP's for over 5 years. Good Luck, an remember to enjoy life

It reduces your quantity of food by almost 1)2 depending on what size bowl or container u use for pot In Pot . In a 6qt pot , with water, trivet then food in the PIP I use a 3qt liner in the trivet . It pretty much maximizes the space so that 6qt pot because a 3qt (or smaller) when doing out in pot cooking. It's not necessary for most foods if you use enough water or broth to build pressure and layer don t stir your ingredients. Do that and only bad recipes usually burn. Now when using an 8qt , remember recipes are written for 6 qt so may give burn notice if you don't add extra liquid to some recipes

I find PIP is perfect for foods like grits or rice. When it’s done cooking I lift it out and take to the table. Easier cleaning the small pan, too.
Just a cup of water in liner, 1C rice in PIP, salt, butter, 2C water. Place on rack. 10 minutes, perfect rice. (Few minutes longer for brown rice).
Been IP-ing 3yrs, never a burn. Almost all meals are IP-ed.

Back