Constant 'Burn' Notice on 8qt Instant Pot

Hello everyone.
I'm really hoping someone can help me with this. I purchased a 8qt instant pot about 7 months ago and my first 2 meals were great, but now EVERYTIME i try to make anything in it i get burn notice. and i mean everytime. I make sure that the bottom is scrapped ( anything left from the sauté is off the pot) I make sure there is always enough water in it and i have made sure i checked the rubber rings inside the lid to make sure its in properly. I even bought new ones to try and same thing, it starts to pressurize and then about 8 mins in BURN food flashes. I'm so frustrated with this machine i don't know what to do now except get rid of it. Can anyone help me please.

Use bar keepers friend on the liner. If I don’t use it, there’s always a thin film that I swear automagically makes the burn notice appear.

What about inside the machine? For mine, it will periodically tell me food burn cause the burner/heat element isn’t clean enough

Try to do the water test again and see what happens. put three cups of water and set it to cook for 5 minutes at high pressure. If you get the burn notice doing this then I would contact customer support at IP

Have you done another water test? That will tell you if it's the pot or the recipes. If it's the pot, then you can troubleshoot seals, are they seated properly, are they genuine IP brand, do you notice any steam leaking. -Stacie

Are you layering correctly? Using dairy? Any packet mixes (e.g. ranch, gravy, or other powder mixes) or thickeners (flour, corn starch)? When you say you’re using the minimum liquid, is it water or broth (nothing thicker)? If it works with the water test, then it’s recipe related. Can you give us an example of a recipe (full ingredients and method) that caused a burn?

It’s almost always the recipe you are using. Your best bet is to use only tried and true recipes, and there are many. You could read the tips about the burn warning at Rootitoot.com, that will help you understand what is causing it. I hope you can resolve this so you can enjoy using your IP. 😊

i have only every made spaghetti or chicken and rice. the chicken and rice recipe is as follows ..Preheat Instant Pot by setting to “Sauté”. Add oil and cook onion until softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Add garlic, oregano, and paprika and cook until fragrant, 1 minute.
Stir in rice and broth and season with salt and pepper. Add carrots, bell pepper, and chicken, and season generously again with salt and pepper.
Close lid, change setting to manual or "Pressure Cook" and set for 8 minutes on High. When 8 minutes is up, let pot decompress naturally for 10 minutes, then release pressure, remove lid, and shred chicken. Top with parsley before serving. i follow it to the t and then "burn food" the first time i made it it was delicious now it sucks.

@ismailagodhasheard spaghetti is definitely a burn risk if you don’t layer correctly, and also get the right amount of water for the pasta. I haven’t made chicken and rice but it does come up in this group a lot with people getting burns. When you make the spaghetti, are you layering the tomato products on top?

Layers and Burns! (things that don't fit into this description, have thick sauce or you don't want watered down, should probably be made pot in pot)
The most important thing for converting any recipe, even a bad one is layering!... 1st layer, meat (optional) saute and deglaze with layer 2, which is water or broth (thin liquid) You need minimum 1 cup water for 6 qrt and 1.5 cup for 8 qrt. Layer 3 is your starches, 4th layer is your sauces, cream soups, tomato based products (dump on top without stirring!!) spices and herbs can go with meat layer or with sauce layer. Cream soups can be added after cooking as can cream cheese or any dairy product…(can curdle under pressure) the main thing to remember is to not stir anything, it all melds together when it comes to pressure! Dairy also has a lower scalding temp so can trigger a burn due to the sugars! Thickeners need to be added after cooking, and this even means no sauteing with flour!!
Burn: rarely do you stir anything in the IP, it needs to build pressure with the water or broth first, then it melds together as it cooks. Tomato based products/cream soups and gravies or thicker sauces tend to give burn notices if they touch the bottom of the inner pot, which is why thicker sauces get dumped on top of the other ingredients without stirring. drain and rinse your beans, if using, so the thick juice doesn't get on the bottom. Always deglaze after saute to remove any cooked on bits!! Basically, your pot just needs to come to pressure without anything thick touching the bottom. It needs enough liquid to do this. The liquid boils then creates steam, then that steam needs to overfill the pot to create pressure. The fuller the pot, then longer it would take to boil and create steam, which also means the longer it has to potentially burn...Fortunately, when you get a burn, it doesn't mean it has burned, it's just a warning, you can manually release the pressure, open the pot and add more liquid, but then you usually need to stir it to get off any bits stuck to the bottom (deglazing), then you reset it. If you are lucky, it will already be super hot and will come to pressure in just a few minutes, so not as likely to burn again..

Back