Repeated Burn Notice on Instant Pot: How to Fix It?

I am having the same issue. After timer is done, it's supposed to warm and count up. I keep catching it say BURN FOOD and it hasn't finished releasing pressure yet?. I can't figure out why. I can't keep anything warm. I just turn it off.

Did you get the word burn, the word HOT or the icon showing flame under the pot? The icon or HOT show that the IP is heating up, not that food is burning. … This might be helpful - SAUTÉ AND COOKING LEVELS
This is about sautéing in all the IPs. If you have an older model IP, like the LUX or the older DUO, you may have the “Adjust” button for the 3 cooking levels. On the newer IPs, just press the Sauté button several times (or use the dial) until you get the level you want …….
- use “Less” mode for simmering, thickening, reducing liquids and for foods that may burn easily;
- use “Normal” or “Medium” mode for searing;
- use “More” mode for browning and stir-frying.
***Some newer models (like the CRISP models) only have “Hi” and “Low” with some having a Custom feature. So, be sure to check your User Manual)***
After you set the Sauté function to the level you want (less, normal or more), it will start heating up the pot. DO NOT PUT IN YOUR OIL/butter, etc. (if using) YET! When it reaches the temperature for the setting, the display will show “HOT”. You THEN put in the oil, butter, etc. (if using), wait a minute or two for the oil to heat (usually will start shimmering), put in whatever you are cooking, let it brown until it will turn easily without sticking to the bottom of the pan, turn and brown other side the same way, cancel Sauté and then continue per whatever the recipe you are using says to do.
During sautéing, the lid needs to be opened at all time to avoid pressure building up. If the lid is closed, the display may show a flashing “Lid”.
After sautéing and before pressure cooking, you need to deglaze the inner pot. Deglazing involves adding a thin liquid like wine, water or broth to the hot surface and scraping the bottom with a silicone scraper or wooden spatula to remove the caramelized and brown bits that are stuck. Leave the bits in the liquid to add flavor. Then, be sure to “Cancel” before setting your “Pressure Cook” time.
During the sauté process, the display may periodically show “HOT” again as it heats up to temperature again.
Also, the Sauté function, on most older models, has a 30 minute automatic timer and will shut off when the 30 minutes is reached. Don’t panic! If you need more time, just press CANCEL and then Sauté again for another 30 minutes! Some of the newer models allow you to set a time longer than 30 minutes.
You will still have to experiment a bit to see which levels work best for what you want to do. Each IP model seems to be a bit hotter or cooler. The newer models seem to be hotter.

I feel so lucky that I've never had a burn notice. *knockonwood*. After you saute, add a little liquid to the pot and deglaze the pot completely! Don't leave anything stuck to the bottom. I use a wooden spatula that has a flat end. Add the minimum liquid for your size of pot, seal and pressure cook. This should avoid burn notice.

Burn notices are due to not having enough liquid. When you sauté, consider covering it with a glass lid the liquid will not evaporate away. 

@burning___bush - There are also other reasons for burn notices, including not layering tomato based recipes with tomato ingredient on top layer, away from the heating element. Also, if she is sautéing, she will not get a burn notice. Most likely she is seeing the HOT signal which means it came up to temperature. Or, she saw the pot with flame icon which means it is heating up. Also, no lid should be used while sautéing. Please read your manual about sautéing. Please see my comment to Sofie.

Back