How I Finally Managed to Break the Seal on My Instant Pot – Need Help Separating the Dishes Without Losing the Gravy!

Remove the contents in the top.pan and put ice in it, it should shrink enough to be removed from the bottom pan. If it doesn't leave the ice in the top and then run hot water in the sink and sit the bottom pan in the hot water which will cause it to expand and the ice will contract the top pan.

The problem is that once your dish began to cool, it created a vacuum seal much like what happens in the canning process. Place the dish on the stove in a pan with water that is lower than the level of the bottom pan. Heat it up and you should be able to easily remove the top dish once the air and steam.in the bottom dish expands.

@sophiepoeta painful lol
I gave up last night.
Stuck the whole thing in the fridge
This morning heated the bottom and dumped ice in the top (after removing the rice)
It was still slathered with oil
Was able to get a thin metal fondue stick in. Able to pry one part apart but not enough to break the suction
Needed a break after ten mins
Now it’s left in the hot water in the instant pot with ice in the top, while I sit and respond to some comments
I’m hoping when I go back to check a miracle would have happened 😂
I’m not giving up as it’s my first time using these pots and I really want the food in it as I’ve been craving it for a couple of weeks 😂

I think it will work! More heat and more cold. The metal reacts…that’s science! I would heat on the stove for a bit. Coming out of the fridge from overnight, hot water will not heat it up enough. After you get the food and cooking vessel HOT, take it off the heat and immediately load the top bowl with super cold, mostly ice, ice water! After a few minutes start trying to lift the top bowl off.

I hope you are able to get them apart using the suggestions given here. To do pot in pot, the inner pot should be smaller than the outer pot and sit on a trivet above the food in the outer pot.

@cankeel I use those same ones all the time and never had this issue. I think trying to separate while hot next time should help or just make sure not to push them together too much. Good luck

I just laid the top one on and they came out they were stuck together
In the midst of cooking there was a suction sound and that’s when I think they stuck together

Keep us posted! But for the future, this is the inexpensive 7” Stainless Steel bowl that I use for Pot in Pot cooking.

Back