How to Brown Skin-On Chicken Thighs in the Instant Pot Without Sticking?

bushra

I need some guidance. I know that some of you bypass the browning step in the IP in favor of searing in a skillet first or throwing the meat under the broiler at the end. That's not always an option for me. How are you all browning your skin-on chicken thighs without the skin sticking permanently? Most of my recipes call for using saute for 1-2 minutes per side. Last night I did mine for nearly 4 minutes, and they were just barely beige when I flipped them and one stuck tight enough to rip the skin. My recipe called for 1 Tablespoon of oil on Saute for 1-2 minutes. The recipe came out fine except for wimpy skin.
UPDATE: Thank you all for your help. I think my problem may have been too low a setting on Saute. I think I'll also try brushing or spritzing a little extra oil on the skin before trying to brown it -and the wait for a self-release (patience is not my strongest quality).

I’m a newbie but just read to put the oil in with the sauté on high and wait for it to get up to temp before putting in whatever you’re sautéing. Hope this helps!

I don’t necessarily go by a certain number of minutes when searing anything, I usually wait until it self releases. That way the meat/skin does not tear and by that time it is a nice darker color

@bushra since you said 4 minutes was not quite long enough, I would start checking it after 5 mins or so. Gently try to lift with tongs; if it doesn’t pull up without resistance leave it and try again every 30 seconds to a minute after that until it releases and you can pull it up with no sticking

I have the same problem. I think it’s because the center of the pot is higher in the middle and the oil pools to the outside edge. I have the stainless steel insert. I just ordered the nonstick insert to see if that will work better for searing.

Back