How to Brown Skin-On Chicken Thighs in the Instant Pot Without Sticking?

Are you waiting until it is searing hot before you put the chicken in? Also, dry the breasts as much as possible before putting them in (in small quantities: don’t cover the bottom of the pot).
It takes quite a while preheating before it’s hot enough to sear, and then if it’s still sticking after a few minutes, it’s not done. It’ll naturally release easily when it has a nice sear.
It’s easier to sear in cast iron, but definitely possible in the Instant pot.

@christiandude123 I was just getting ready to comment just this! The keys to good browning are hot oil, dry surface of the meat, and small quantities. Too much at one time brings down the temp too much and it’s hard to recover from that. Moisture on the surface just creates steam.

I quit using skin years ago. Too much fat. I know it's not always convenient, but I prefer to saute in a fry pan. It's easier for me and I don't risk the sticking issue. Good luck to you.

@bushra then when the food is done in the air fryer put it in the oven or wrap in foil and then put your chicken in the airfryer to crisp up the skin after cooking in IP

Make sure you use the adjust button to get it on high, there are 3 levels, low, med and high. The red dot will move as you use the adjust button.

@sjouhana0001 true, it just seems like her pot isn't hot enough. It is a bit tricky to used those extra settings. Not sure what the default is set to if there is a way to adjust it, she should.

Make sure the pot has heated up before you put the chicken in. Add your oil or butter, let it heat a bit, then add the chicken. Don't overcrowd the pan or it will steam instead of brown. Resist the urge to peak or turn too soon. You can also brush a little oil on the skin before seasoning it to help it brown and release from the pan easier. Honestly, I always find sautéing chicken tricky no matter what I do.

Don't turn it until it stops making noise. It should release easy at that point. But once you pressure cook it's going to get soft again.

If you're waiting til it's 'hpt', use are using an oil on the pot & the chicken still tears, the chicken is being turned to early, imo

Use the saute high, wait until it says hot, add oil, wait until oil is glistening, put (dry) meat down, don't move it until it releases itself. Once the maillard reaction has occurred, the meat will release itself.

Let the pot get hot before adding the oil, then add the chicken. Make sure sauté is on high (Depress the sauté button several times to be sure it is on high). Mine still stick sometimes, but doesn’t change the taste!!

Saute on high with enough oil to reduce sticking.. once you've browned..remove whatever meat...scrape bottom of pot/liner... remove any excessive amount of oil...add some water and stir...that will get the stuck on bits loose..it kinda boils and I use flat spatula to get good scrape...add meat back in..vegetables or pasta...pour sauce over top add more water..pressure cook. For ribs I use air fryer lid or broiler to brown once cooked ... I brown roasts and chicken

Back