How to Make Bone Broth from Rotisserie Chicken: A Lesson Learned and a Success Story!

Yes it does get greasy, but overnight in the fridge, and just peel it off. The put the broth in mason jars or pint plastic containers. Bring out one or two for soup. you will have the best soup ever. Also good to sprinkle over dogs food, like a couple of tablespoons. I have been making bone broth for over 10 years and the instant pot was a godsend to reduce the time from an overnight simmer to 3 hours. Fill the pot with bones, not just one chicken. The more like jelly it is when you finish aNd cool it, the more of the good marrow stuff is in it!

@dynamitex I have read and seen several people say that with the IP, that you get all the flavor and nutrition you will after 90 minutes. I do my chx 90 minutes with a little lemon juice. I separate the fat ( Shmaltz) and keep it the freezer for sautéing, it adds wonderful flavor.

@autumnfan After the stock has cooked for a while, take bones out and allow to cool so you can handle them. I put them in a plastic bag and use a meat mallet to pound them open to expose the marrow. Put back in pot and continue to cook. This will make the broth jell like when it cools and sooo yummy tasting. You'll need to strain it well while cooling to get out the darker parts.

I do that and freeze in large gallon freezer bags. Fill bag with cooled broth and lay flat on a cookie sheet or plate and freeze. Perfect for soup or to use making rice or anything. You can throw any veggie scraps, or left over meat bones. I freeze left over bones to throw in as well. You can keep the broth going on slow cooker or warm for days adding stuff. Strain and use or freezer. You can also freeze in mason jars if you leave room at the top.

Back