Instapot Locked Up After Switching to Pressure Mode

kcdny134

I had my Instapot on sauté and I guess at some point it decided to pressurize, now it is so locked up that it will not let me open it up. I’ve done everything from resetting it to unplugging it and it is still locked tight. I have released the pressure valve. Any ideas on how to get the dang thing to open?

Too late now, but you don't use the lid for saute. It's like sauting in a pan on the stove, you leave it uncovered. It should open if you've released the pressure. If the pin is stuck up, you can give it a tap and if that's the case, make sure to take it out and give it a good cleaning.

@eilidh If you have the lid on and sealed, it could build up pressure. If you have the lid on a pan and it starts rattling around, that's because pressure has built up. Steam is what creates pressure.

How did that happen? My IP flashes it’s display angrily if I attempt to put the lid on in sauté mode. Besides, you can’t properly sauté with the lid on. I have put a different lid on temporarily to suppress oil splatter when that happens.

Never keep Instant pot lid on saute mode. If you still want to keep lid, try transparent lid of pans.
For pressure pin to go down, wait for sometime until pressure is all gone which is safest method, or try quick release by moving vent, or push pin downwards, move the lid a little 2 directions, which pushes the lid if pressure is almost done

You sauté in an IP the same way you do on the stove; no lid & keep stirring. You sauté to brown what ever is in the pot and you keep stirring to get it brown & caramelized all over.

You’ll have to wait for it to depressurize. You can manually open the vent valve if it’s not already open.

Back