Choosing the Best Instapot for a Pressure Cooking Newbie – Rio Wide vs. Base Model

I also favor the older, more basic models. I do have a very dated flow chart thingy that might help one decide, at least based on the models available then. I did NOT create this, I only saved it from here a while back!

I have the 8 qt PRO and am really happy with it. Having the handles is an absolute plus point for me and I wouldn’t want any without handles anymore now. And the flat bottom is really nice to. And for me personally I like the material of the inner pot, no anti backing stuff which can get lose or anything like that, no risk for scratches or damage on the bottom which can make the pot useless.
And I love the big size. In a bigger one you can also make smaller portions, but in a smaller one you can’t make bigger portions. If I make soup my pan is completely full😂🙈

@frchrisnm thanks- after more thoughts from all of you asking what I’m planning on using it for, I’m leaning towards the ones in the 8qt since I’m liking the idea of quick broth—in just this last week- my kids (adults that steal from my pantry since “mom has the best -and its free-lol) have almost gone through what I’ve canned since Thanksgiving. I’m thinking that the 8qt would allow for smaller batches for “pantry maintenance” without having to pull out the HUGE roaster — (I will NOT be canning in the IP just to clarify- just to just make the broth quicker!!) the 8qt models seem like it would give me more cooking options since I could still use for small portions— everything yall have advised on has been super helpful!!! Thanks everyone!!

For what it's worth, Bi-Mart has the 6-qt. on sale for $39.95 this week. That is likely as low a price you find for a new one. You do need to buy new if you want the warranty.

@candyfloss28 I'm sure other stores will have something similar. Start watching the advertisements such as Target. Don't go Amazon, they are more expensive on such things. The fryer was almost $50 more than locally.
After I got my first one at Goodwill, I started watching for another. I was really lucky; they brought out both the 3-quart and 8-quart that fall and I got a great deal on both with the holiday sales. (I gave my 6-qt. to my son.)
Bed Bath & Beyond has them and all accessories on their website.
Fred Meyer (Kroger) also has them.
I chose not to get their air fryer and have been very pleased with that decision and am happy with what I chose.

If you figure out which you want, look for sales on www.instanthome.com
They had 50% off on Black Friday, and I bought the pro plus and the Rio wide plus during that sale. Wondering if they’ll have a Christmas sale!

I have the Lux model, which is very basic. However, I think it has the lowest point for failure. Meaning, I have never had a burn notice!
I do wish I had a yogurt setting. However, it is not impossible to make yogurt in my pot!

@losteve19 Pleased to make the acquaintance of a fellow Lux owner! Howdy! Mine has been my faithful work horse for over 5 years now and it got used tonight to make Jeffrey's great Arroz con Pollo and I didn't get a burn message! I only got one of those a few years back when I used the wrong couscous in a recipe but I know what I did and haven't gotten one since!

@losteve19 Probably plenty of them. I can't do dairy so no yogurt is no hardship and I've never eaten or made cheesecake. I always sub something else for butter when sauteeing and use shortening in place of butter when baking.

@julie_82 My MINI is a 3qt duo. That's when I found out it's similar to the lux. What I miss on the duo is the ability to control the pressure release. On the lux I can position the release lever just a tiny bit and leave it to do it's thing slowly. Can't do that with the duo. I have to manually keep a hold on the release button, for slow release.

Back