Choosing the Best Instapot for a Pressure Cooking Newbie – Rio Wide vs. Base Model

I have two of brand pressure cookers and love them. If i were to need to purchase a new one, i might consider an IP with a yogurt button.

Remember that you can put less in an 8-quart but you cannot put more in a 6-quart so I would always recommend the 8-quart.
This is holiday season and you should be able to get a good buy on whatever you choose.

When I bought several years ago Kohls had two models on sale. I bought the more expensive model because it had the togurt function which turns out I have never used although I might start using it to proof yeast bread. I only cook for two and we are retired so I like cooking fast. I don't need slow cook that cooks while I'm at work since I don't work. I only ise saute and pressure cook. Got the instant Vortex air fryer six quart which is just big enough for four bone in chicken thighs. Personally I like that my model has a dial to change functions and time. Not sure if my model is made anymore. Small appliances where you push a slightly raised button area drive me nuts, i have to use my knuckle. I like making bone broths and stock which an 8 qt might do better at fitting a turkey carcass. I have to break it up. Frankly, I don't know why there are so many cooking options when almost every recipe only refers to saute and pressure.

@anarchlown each button has a preset temperature and cooking time for the particular food. I use them all. In 4 years never had a burn. Everything turns out perfect, no guessing.

You are overthinking. Just make a list with two columns and when you look at each model, put the name of the model on the left and list the things you want in the Want column and the things you don’t want in the Don’t Want column as you look at each model. That will tell you at a glance what model you really want.

I have 2 of the Duos 6qt. And they are great for me. I have no need to upgrade. I use pretty much all the settings because it's easier for me to remember what I used last time. I just discovered that there is 3 times for each button which is nice.

My one and only is the Duo Pro 6qt. We are 2 seniors so don’t need a larger pot. There are still new things to try with this pot and it is now 2 years old. I will save my money and make do with the one I have, which so far has exceeded my expectations.

I have a duo evo plus. The reason I chose this model is for the handles on the inner pot and to a lesser degree, the diffusion cover on the steam vent. Only Instant Pot I’ve ever used and I’ve been very pleased with the performance.

How many people you cooking for? Does your people like soggy food? For me it’s an overpriced steamer and great for boiling eggs. Other than that I don’t like it.

Back