Issue with New 8qt Duo: Small Steam Leak from Pressure Valve – Is This Normal?

parodyofjay

Hi, I need your help, please? I purchased a new 8qt Duo, which replaced my previous 8qt Duo. I performed a water test, 1 cup of water, setting it for 5 minutes. The odd thing happened is that as pressure builds, a small amount of steam escapes from the pressure valve. It's not hot steam or forceful but it does happen. If I spin the pressure knob it stops escaping steam and stops making noise.
My previous IP never did this. Is this normal or should I be concerned? How does your IP act? Other than this, it works perfectly. Thank you in advance for your opinion
😊

After the pressure is bled off, pull the steam release handle completely off then push it firmly back on. I've had to do that with every IP that was shipped.

So this one you would slide it to seal after you put the lid on a lil steam coming out as it comes to pressure is normal

My steam valve hisses a little, spits a bit of steam and wobbles a bit before the pin finally pops up and stays up. Mine is an 8 qt Pro. This thing comes to pressure pretty fast, but no matter what I cook, the steam thingie always acts the same: hiss, spit a little, wobble, then seals and goes very quiet. No steam or noise at all.

The pressure sensor switches are subject to a certain amount of error. You probably have one that is set at a higher than intended pressure. Not really a problem as long as it doesn't run dry.

@musingsofacac This is true. I buy secondhand. I had a Duo 8 that ran hot and scorched spaghetti sauce every time. Sold it to someone who wanted it for soups, meats, and plain pasta. Then had an unusable Duo 6 that kept blowing it's stack until I replaced the pressure switch. Some IPs do indeed run hotter or cooler than average.

You know, since it's new you could just return it and try again with another new one. The person who mentioned variation in the calibration of the pressure (temperature) switches was exactly right. I've had problem machines, and the good ones I've kept pretty much work flawlessly and cook anything. I think I'd exchange it. But if your old Duo 8 had manual and adjust, any new model will cook different because the programming changed when Pressure Cook program took over.

Back