Repeated Burn Notice on Instant Pot: How to Fix It?

jennkw21

I got a burn notice after using the sauté function. Took all food out and cleaned it. I waited until the IP is cold and i started over. I still get the burn notice. I have this so many times. I have to wait for hours after a burn notice before it starts working again. Anyone had this and knows how to resolve this issue?

Clean the heating element using a scrubbie and some water and then dry it and fon’t forget the bottom of the inner pot.

@jmdreamer yes, i cleaned everything. The pot on the bottom on the outside is still a little brown on some spots but it’s difficult to get it all off. But it looks better now then before. Still not working.

You won't get a burn notice while sauteing. That will only happen once you start to pressure cook

I never remove food to clean the bottom...i put the liquid in to deglaze, and it deglazes quickly, using my wooden spatula. I then add more liquid if necessary to continue with the recipe/cooking.

Sauté automatically turns off after 30 minutes. You have to turn it back on if you're still sautéing. Then deglaze with proper liquid before pressure cooking.

Did your pot actually say Burn or not? Or, did a flame icon show up in the display? The flame is not a burn. It is the pot heating up. Also, what exactly was in the pot?

What does the screen say when this happens? Does it say "Food Burn" or "HOT"? The Sauté function will say HOT when it gets up to sautéing temperature. Also, some pots show a "flame" icon when the heating element is on.

@ben_85 This is really bad advice! It won't always just "go away" and could be an indication of a problem, like not enough liquid, seal not positioned properly, or... maybe, just maybe, that the food is actually burning. 🤔

Back