Steaming Vegetables Gone Wrong: Broccoli, Cauliflower, & Carrots Turned to Mush—What Did I Do Wrong?

madisin

Steaming vegetables...
I just put in some broccoli, cauliflower & babay carrots, 1 cup water, trivet & steamer basket. High pressure, 0 minutes with quick release, and they were absolute mush... GROSS!!! What did I do wrong? I like them to still have a bit of a crunch...

I made same mistake then did all the same but used steam option and way different. Think I did one minute for fresh green beans and then automatic release of pressure

And contrary to everyone who's answered already, I always use high pressure for mine. 0 minutes, then a QR, and my broccoli is that bright green just "al dente". I am using an older IP though (a Duo 6-quart)... So maybe the newer ones are more powerful? That's the only thing I can think of. Also, I've never done carrots for 0 minutes. I do baby carrots for 2 minutes and they still have a nice "bite" texture to them.

@jgcoble Yes, especially old vs. new models. I have never ever had a burn problem with mine, my broccoli is perfect at 0 minutes, etc. But my Duo is pretty old now.

I've never had a burn notice, but I have had where it doesn't come to pressure or doesn't count down so I assume it's burning or not sealed, but it doesn't tell me burn

@jgcoble This is the burn notice on older models. It won't say "burn" but that's what it does, just starts counting down without coming to pressure. But I've never even had that happen on my older model.

@ajamure I have a couple times... but honestly, unless it's something that had to cook really long, I'd just let it go and it would still cook it fine

Back