Steaming Vegetables Gone Wrong: Broccoli, Cauliflower, & Carrots Turned to Mush—What Did I Do Wrong?

I think I've seen issues with mushier vegetables at 0 minutes when I put in more than 1 cup of water in my 6 Qt. I usually make about 3-4 cups worth of vegetables at a time. I find the baby carrots need more like 6-8 minutes to cook to fork tender. I usually do broccoli and cauliflower at 0 min so they have some crunch.

I do this exact thing, except i use a metal basket in the IP and it's perfect every time, in my 10 quart.
However, in my 6 quart, for whatever reason it takes longer to come to pressure and it overcooks the veggies.
So that could be the problem. Your IP may be taking longer to come to pressure and overcooking the veggies.
Try setting a timer instead of waiting for it to come to pressure. See if that helps.

I am surprised, unless you cut them up very very small. I do veggies all the time like that and do one to two minutes. 

In my duo, 6 quart, I always do 1 cup water, 0 minutes, Low pressure. Quick release as soon as it's done.
I put the veg in a steamer basket and they come out perfect every time. Last time I did sliced carrots and broccoli and they were both perfect as well.

RE COOKING vegetables in PRESSURE POTS OR WATERLESS COOK Ware: remember vegetables contain a lot of water and to retain nutritional value of the vegetables use less water ( I use 1/4 cup of water for a whole cut up washed broccoli and cook for 5 min in reg stainless pots after vegetables come to a boil. The larger the pieces the more time you can steam them or if yo
are using the Pot use less water
1/4 cup plus 1 min and let pot depressurize on its own..finishing the cooking process. Trial and error sometimes. But how much water added can be the key.

If it can tenderise meat in 15 minutes, just imagine what it can do to veg! I only every steam veg in it, never pressure cook.

I just did fresh broccoli crowns. Placed on my trivet, one cup water, high pressure for 1 minute, quick release. Steamed perfectly, not mushy, and I’ve done this numerous times. (6 qt)

We’re they fresh vegetables or frozen? I’ve never had fresh veg turn to mush that quickly. Maybe try low pressure.

The only vegetable we steam in the Instant Pot is corn on the cob (3 min. Quick release) I don't think this is the tool for the job you need done.

Back