Initial Impressions vs. Evolving Taste: My Journey with Jeffrey Eisner's Sausage and Shells

lloyd_walty

Ok my turn.
I've been seeing lots of posts about Jeffrey Eisner's sausage and shells. Of course I added and subtracted ingredients but basically followed the steps.
Three days ago I made it and it was good. I'm like why does everyone say its awesome. I just thought it was good and ways I would change it to maybe be "better".
Yesterday I had it for lunch and said wow it tastes better then when I made it.
Funny today I'm eating it and am beginning to think it's getting closer to awesome. One more meal tomorrow should be the best yet.
So I will be making it again hoping my few changes make it closer to awesome sooner.
Jeffrey's recipe books are my favorite and have made some meals everyone I will make again.

1726294669825.png

I agree with you - our family was underwhelmed with the recipe when we made it. They did enjoy the leftovers. I’m curious what changes you made.

I think most dishes cooked in pressure cooker taste better overnight and re-heated. Maybe it gives time for the flavors to be absorbed and balanced. 🤷🏻‍♀️

I made this a few days ago. There was so much hype about it, I couldn't wait to try it. We just thought it was ok. If I ever make it again, I'll make some changes as well. But I do love Jeffrey's recipes. This just wasn't a favorite.

Your sausage and shells does not look like my sausage and shells. You said you changed ingredients. I would suggest you stick to the recipe. Mine always comes out more than awesome because I use sun dried tomatoes in mine.

@dmmahan22 I agree. I think for the first try absolutely stick to the recipe, it gives a true sense of all the flavors. After that, it seems okay to tweak but also changes the recipe’s taste. My husband and I happen to love this recipe as is so no need for us to tweak. Good first day, second day and frozen for another time.

Back