Initial Impressions vs. Evolving Taste: My Journey with Jeffrey Eisner's Sausage and Shells

@nhanc33 I'm always amazed when someone complains about a recipe, but then says they added a whole bunch of stuff and didn't add a whole bunch of other stuff, so much so that it's not even close to the same recipe anymore. Once, I saw someone complaining about a recipe being too spicy and saying they would never make it again because of all of the cayenne that they added that wasn't even a part of the recipe! There was nothing spicy in the original recipe.

I just made it the other day, one change I will make for next time is that I will use sausage that doesn't have fennel in it. Not a fault of the recipe, it was my own fault. I just don't like the fennel taste in it. But definitely a recipe I will make again, I might increase the amount of sausage and tomatoes next time as well.

If you didn’t follow the recipe, can you post the changes you made? Otherwise we are all squinting at that photo trying to assume what made this one better

It does also depend on what you’re substituting. Like if you don’t like regular tomatoes and want to use sun dried that’s probably fine - but you couldn’t say “I don’t like sausage” and use…clams. 🤷🏻‍♀️

When I make it following the recipe with the exception that I use cream cheese instead of Boursin is is awesome the first day and even more so the next. I always make recipes as written the first time and then make adjustments if I think necessary.

When you add and subtract ingredients (no matter what they are) it becomes a different recipe. There’s nothing “wrong” with that, but you can’t review someone else’s recipe because that is NOT what you made. You made your own version of some thing.

Back