Pork Chile Verde Troubles: Meat Still Tough After Instant Pot and Dutch Oven Cooking

Picnic roast is from the upper shoulder and a very tough cut. Butt or shoulder is from the lower shoulder and much more tender. Picnic roasts take a long time to cook! 90 minutes with a full natural release might work, but personally, I would use Butt aka shoulder!

90 minutes ,high pressure. I usually do full natural release. Thin liquid on bottom,then the goodies over meat. Important , please do not feed the meat to dogs. Onions and garlic are poison for dogs(and cats). Peppers,etc. not good either.

You said fresh picnic ham. That sounds like a hindquarter cut of meat. Cooked the way you used it would make a hindquarter cut of pork tough and dry. Use a Boston butt or shoulder cut of meat for pork chili verde and it will be tender. All is not lost if you have a food processor. Use that to blend up the pork like ground meat, and cook down in the sauce to use like a sloppy joe.

I agree with those saying you picked the wrong cut. Butt would be a much better choice. I wouldn't pressure cook picnic.

Back