Pork Chile Verde Troubles: Meat Still Tough After Instant Pot and Dutch Oven Cooking

I could be wrong but I think it was the meat. I think picnic is the same cut that is used for ham. Sounds like the meat was overcooked and not likely to shred. Try a butt/shoulder next time. Lucky dog.

Natural release the whole way, but I Had a similar situation when my valves weren't cleaned before cooking. It ended up boiling the meat Instead of pressure cooking. Now I clean the valves every time I use it to avoid this problem

With a cut like that, it needs at least 90 minutes pressure and full natural release. It has to do with the structure. It will basically tighten for a good while before it finally relaxes and becomes tender. And if you release pressure before the pin has dropped, the meat will tighten back up and be tough. Always do full release for meat

If you crowded the meat when sautéing, it likely removed too much water. I sauté in a large pan and then transfer to the IP. Also, never release the pressure on any meat. It sucks the moisture out. I cook mine for 40 minutes and natural release.
I’ve made two batches of pozole in mine this week. 40 minutes is the perfect amount of time for cut up chunks.

Back