Salvaging Salty Ham & Beans from Instant Pot – Can I Make Ham Broth and Is There a Ham Bouillon Alternative?

pres

I made ham & beans for first time in the instant pot this evening. I didn’t care for the seasonings. I should have known better but decided to try them doing what the recipe said to do. I’m not a fan of bay leaves -Italian seasoning(with the beans) & 2 lrg garlic cloves. I couldn’t find any ham shanks, which I think is a lot more meaty and less fat maybe then the hocks I got. They made the beans & chicken broth SO Salty we could hardly eat it & was full of fatty gristle. I drained all the liquid off & rinsed the bean mixture through a Colander. I don’t want to throw out the bean & vetg mixture. Can I make ham broth from the bones of the ham hocks & low sodium chicken broth & is there such a thing as “Ham Better Than Bullion” available for extra flavor ? I haven’t ever looked for it.

Yes, you can absolutely change the flavor like you want. You could even turn them into chili beans if you wanted too.

This isn’t instant pot, but this is my go to recipe for making white beans with any ham bone. https://www.deepsouthdish.com/.../old-school-ham-bone...
Now it does call for bay leaves, but that is only for the stock. You strain them out after.
But I’ve made red beans with bay leaf and used chicken broth and just pickled pork, but I didn’t boil any bones. Idk, I guess it’s a preference.

@annbella I have tried recipes with bay leaves. At first I think I like the taste, but for some reason shortly after I figure out if I had left the bay leaves out I would have liked it much better, my husband feels the same way. So from now on we just leave them out and are happier. I think it is like some people hate cilantro no matter what. I think Bay leaves are the same for some of us. It is like they make my tongue feel funny even after they have been removed from the pot.

@ezzeking I get the cilantro, my husband is picky about it. I don’t mind it that much. I don’t really notice the bay leaf flavor, but it doesn’t matter, if you like it better without it then leave it out. I haven’t met a recipe I haven’t had to adjust to my liking.

@ezzeking it’s great! Here is one more from the same website. I use this one for my turkey from thanksgiving. I actually made it tonight. I had frozen my turkey carcass and some turkey from thanksgiving and defrosted it. Funny enough, my stock was salty, so I struggled tonight too. I added water, but jt took awake from the seasoning, so I added broth. It was a mess. But the recipe did call for adding salt when making the stock, and I would leave that out next time and probably increase the amount of water.

@annbella When things are to salty best trick I know is to cut a couple potatoes in quarters and drop them in for a little bit, don't let them get soft so you can take them back out and they will soak up a lot of the salt.

I use bay leaves, but never in a ham recipe, only in beef recipes. If you are near a Walmart store they sell smoked ham neck bones that are usually not to fatty and usually not to salty. I use these when I don't have a regular ham bone as to me hocks are way to fatty.

@ezzeking That’s a great idea. Thank you! Hubby loves pulled pork. I could make that & use the broth for the beans. But he does not like plain pork roast or pork chops though. A mystery to me. 🤷‍♀️

@pres Everyone has their own tastes. But I love using the roast broth for beans, then making pulled pork. I like pork chops but I like pork steaks better. I think if not done perfectly pork chops get to dry. Same can be said for pork roast. So I can kinda understand it. If you have an air fryer, you might change his mind on pork chops. 😉 I know I make much better pork chops in my Instant Vortex then I ever did before. You can also make beans with the left over rib juice. It is fun to use any left over broths to make beans. So never let the good stuff go to waste 🙂

Goya makes a ham type bullion, they even have low sodium version. I usually buy at international market

Back