Salvaging Salty Ham & Beans from Instant Pot – Can I Make Ham Broth and Is There a Ham Bouillon Alternative?

I've found that in 2 years of instapot cooking to go with your instincts. Every time I have said "I don't agree, but I'm gonna go with the recipe" I've been disappointed. Just keep cooking with it, you'll learn how to modify and adjust quickly.

I agree with you—the Italian seasoning, bay leaves and garlic don’t allow the flavor of the beans to shine. Salt. Pepper. Hambone or ham or salt pork. I add the salt at the end so I can judge how much salt the meat added. Makes me happy every time!!!

@captfury Believe Me, I will never do such a silly thing again Italian seasoning, Bay leaves and garlic don’t belong with beans. I guess no matter how old we are we keep learning.

I am probably an outlier, but I hate any broth and avoid it. I find it unnecessary and hate the taste of it. I make ham and beans and love it.

I buy a bone-in ham when it's on sale during the holidays. I cut and freeze the ham in sections to use for soup, quiche or breakfast. I make sure the ham bone has some meat on it and freeze it to make broth . I find the shanks and hock are too expensive and just not that good. I make the ham broth with a little celery, onions and seasonings. I use that and some ham for my bean soup. the ham broth is good for a few soups When you make your own broth you can de-fat it easily, add the seasoning you like and make it healthier - less salt, no preservatives. It's pretty easy in the IP.

I use a bone with some ham on it…..not hocks……honey baked ham sells them….but I usually have some leftover ones in the freezer……low sodium broth….onion, garlic, celery, carrots….a lot of course ground black pepper and a dash of cayenne pepper for my beans….I do use 2 bay leaves, but it comes out with an appropriate amount of saltiness.

@peakdixon Thank you. This sounds very good. I don’t know if I want to try the Bay leaves again even after draining the broth & rinsing the beans they still have that taste. But it also called for Italian seasonings, which made no sense to me but used it any way. I think that’s part of the taste we are getting also. I have made ham and beans all of my adult life but just added onions salt & pepper. I don’t know why I thought this would be a special recipe that would amp up the beans. Next time I’ll stick to the original plain Jane ham, and beans.

I make beans the way my mother taught me. Anytime you have a bone in ham, keep the bone and put it in a zip bag in the freezer.
Get 1 lb dry pinto beans, sort and rinse them. Cover them with water with ~1/3 to 1/2 cup baking soda in a Tupperware on the counter overnight.
Drain and rinse your beans. Put them in the pot with the frozen ham bone and cover with chicken broth until everything is just below the liquid. Cook until done. Season to taste.
Sorry, I usually make mine in the crockpot all day so I don't know the settings for the IP but I imagine any directions for dry beans will work.
Also, I can't help you with measurements other than I usually start with a 1 lb bag of beans. I was taught by my mother who was taught by her grandmother. We're all from Kentucky and we don't measure anything unless were making a cake.😊

Back