Salvaging Salty Ham & Beans from Instant Pot – Can I Make Ham Broth and Is There a Ham Bouillon Alternative?

@pres I myself personally I don’t like to add all that seasoning to my beans. I throw the beans and the ham hock, or just plain ham in the pot with broth and water and let it do its own thing. I do like to add a little bit of carrots, and celery cut really small, and my favorite bean for this is a little northern beans.

I cook my great northern beans with chopped onion, ham pieces (I usually use “Anytime Ham” cubes or get one of their steaks and cut it up. I think Hormel is the brand), water and salt.

@castellano I haven’t heard of “Anytime Ham” cubes. Sounds interesting. I did add 1/2 of a ham steak cut into cubes which probably added to the over salty problem.

@pres The chicken broth probably did, too.
I used to use ham hocks and I still like them, but they have gotten terribly expensive. So now I just use a ham whose flavor I like.

Best pot of pintos ever....pit lg piece left over ham bone in my 10 qt with almost 2 pounds of dry beans...50 minutes and npr about 30 minutes. No spices...extra water almost to cut-off line for soupier beans...delicious!!

We do chicken bullion for any white bean and then I just cut up a ham steak. No salt added because ethe steak and bullion serves for the sodium. Then just a sprinkle of what ever seasoning you like.
With brown beans we do beef bullion and a couple bone in pork chops.

I don't know if there is ham flavored BTB... But I got split pea & ham soup too salty just from ham and had to cook 2 large diced potatoes in it to pull out the salt. It works, the potato soaks up the salt. The soup has diced carrots, celery, onion and garlic in it with a ham joint left over from Christmas dinner. Then I just mashed the potato in with the pea soup using a potato masher.... Actually turned out very good!!!!

Every time we barbecue brisket, I keep the “burnt ends” and carved off scraps and fat for when I make beans. I just freeze the scraps in a well-marked ziploc bag.
I do the same when I make any bone-in ham or pork, even small amounts. They accumulate in the freezer. Then when I have enough for beans, I throw them all into the pot.

Some better than bouillon flavors come in low sodium form. I’ve seen ham flavor, but didn’t notice if it was low sodium. Look for it! I love the low sodium organic chicken better than boullion. All the flavor without so much salt.

Back