Salvaging Salty Ham & Beans from Instant Pot – Can I Make Ham Broth and Is There a Ham Bouillon Alternative?

Yes there is a ham better than bullion but haven’t found in stores. Try Amazon or better than bullion.com…to my knowledge, it is not low sodium.

I buy HamBeenz 15-bean soup. I used a pound of diced ham in the last batch I made. Although I made my batch in the crockpot, there are IP directions to follow on their website! For the broth, I used a combination of homemade mixed bone broth, Better than bouillon roasted chicken base, and (towards the end) the ham seasoning packet included with the dried bean mix.

I always buy the 15 bean soup bag at Walmart and follow the directions. I use diced ham or dice a slice. It comes with ham seasoning packet.

I never use broth with ham. I did it once for black eyed peas with ham in my slow cooker and it was a huge mistake. Plain fresh water is best to be honest.
I’m also not a fan of ham hocks. I prefer shanks because they’re less gristly and fatty in my experience. But my favorite is a ham bone. If you have ham with a bone any time during the year, you can freeze the bone. I’ve done this multiple times and it works great. You can also add ham steaks, diced ham, etc. to soups, beans or whatever and if you want that smoke flavor just use some liquid smoke.
I love split pea with ham soup, navy bean with ham and HamBeens. HamBeens has a variety of flavors on their website but the most popular is the regular HamBeens. Their website has instructions for the Instant Pot and it works great!
You may know all the above already, so if so, please disregard!

Yes there is ham better than bouillon but be careful, a little goes a long way. If you use it, don’t put any other seasonings until you’ve tasted it. Then add salt, pepper, etc. I don’t use garlic. I also presoak my beans so they don’t have to cook as long. I also start my ham shanks and chicken broth ( with a little diced onion) in the IP for 20 minutes or so. QR Gives me a chance to taste the broth before I add my ham BTB. Add my beans and cook another 15-20 minutes depending on the amount.

When I make collard greens with ham hicks, I simmer them in a pot of water until they are about to fall apart, then I doscard half that water, saving the other half for the greens to cook in (or beans, in your case). It drastically reduces the amount of saltiness in the finished dish!

The simpler the recipe the better! I only put onion, salt and pepper in mine along with some diced ham. IF I can find ham bone I will use the broth off of cooking it!

@elizabeth1226 I’ve made ham & beans through the years
using just onion & salt & pepper but thought adding the extra ingredients in the recipe would amp it up. But learned too. The simpler the better most of the time.

I use bacon grease, pepper and an onion. The bacon grease is salty enough.
I add the ham at the end. It is cooked already.

Back