Salvaging Salty Ham & Beans from Instant Pot – Can I Make Ham Broth and Is There a Ham Bouillon Alternative?

Those particular flavors with ham and beans would skeeve me too. They just don’t “go” to me. I love me some garlic, but I don’t put ANY in my beans with ham. There is a small grocery store here that sells THE BEST ham hock pieces. I saute them in bacon grease with some onion and black pepper. Then add the dried beans and water. No chicken broth, no ham broth, no broth at all. I let the ham and beans with the flavor of the bacon grease from sautéing the onions and ham flavor the “soup.” That’s all I put unless I want a tiny bit of heat on occasion. Then I’ll add some crushed red pepper flakes or a diced jalapeno. Nothing else in this Southern girl’s beans with ham. That’s white beans (great northern), navy or pinto. This is how I make mine.

Ca@annbella I’m not much a fan of starting with a boxed/canned broth because they’re very salty and honestly, the flavor isn’t nearly as good as just cooking the chicken/beef/pork whatever yourself.

Be cautious with BBB, they're really salty. I usually use half the amount called for and/or leave out all the extra salt in the recipe. (even the ones from Costco that have about half the salt of the others)

If it’s too salty, I think any broth or bouillon’s would make it worse. You can make broth from the bones for sure, that’s my preferred way. After thanksgiving I make a stock from my turkey carcass for gumbo. Then after Christmas I make a stock from my hambone for white beans.
But if you make a stock from the bones, don’t use broth, use water. Ham is salty enough already. I’ve never done it in the instant pot though. Usually I just boil the carcass/bones with carrots, celery, onion, and bay leaf. Then strain and use that stock for my dish.

Yes there is ham “Better than Bullion” and Goya makes a ham packet. Both are very salty. You can add no salt chicken or vegetable broth, and add what you like. I never add Italian seasoning, but I add onion and carrot and sometimes potato cubes. They all lessen salt.

@chingyb11 I thought I would definitely use low sodium broth. Italian seasoning didn’t make sense to me but thought oh well why not try. But it’s usually best to follow our intuition.

@mike21 Is THAT why I didn't care for the smoked turkey leg I was so excited to get? (Not a ham fan and didn't recognize it as the flavor, just knew I wasn't into it.)

Hi Miriam, I'm no bean expert, but I have had some beans that make me wanna slap my momma. At Christmas we have a ham. I take the ham bone and scraps at the end and package up to freeze in 2 lbs packages. Use the bone and ham in a pot of beans in the new year. Find a simple recipe and add diced carrots, onions and a little celery. During the year we usually buy a pork butt from a fundraiser. We eat all we can and then freeze it in 1.5 - 2 lbs packages. Throw a PKG into a pot of beans. Delicious. They are both easy and flavorful. Good luck.

Back