How to Cook Generic Lentils in an IP for a Creamy Texture Instead of Grainy

mkher

I am asking those of you who routinely cook lentils in the IP to help with cooking lentils; all I have in my grocery stores are packages that just say "lentils." Nothing about what kind. The recipes I see specify what kind of lentils to use. I don't like grainy cooked lentils, and that is all I have been able to accomplish cooking these generic lentils. I have bought cooked lentils in pouches that are supremely creamy and not grainy. Is there a way to cook my generic lentils in the IP so that they are creamy and not grainy? Or would I have to order them (which I am not likely to do)? I have tried using my immersion blender on the cooked lentils, but it did not make mine un-grainy.

I’ve not cooked then myself. But do you have a co-op (think Whole Foods, but smaller & local) nearby? I’ve found that’s the best place to find the odd varieties of beans and such.
Is it the color they’re specifying?

Some lentils are paper thin and some are more like bulbs. Think about the length of time for pressure based on the size/thickness of the lentil. Red lentils would need much less time than French lentils. Green or brown lentils are probably what most people find in the grocery store.

@mkher The package should tell you what they are on the label somewhere. Either on the front or on the back. But if you know the difference between brown , red, and green then you should be able to tell which one you have.

@herlovingmother Don't have any food stores like that, not likely to go to the trouble of ordering from Amazon, especially since I don't know what kind of lentils will not be grainy when cooked.

Back