How to Cook Generic Lentils in an IP for a Creamy Texture Instead of Grainy

The green/brown lentils are the hardiest and hold up to long-term cooking and IP cooking. These are mostly used for soups and stews. Red/orange/yellow lentils are thinner skinned and are short-term cooking and do not hold up well in the IP. These are used for dips like dal, etc. and salads

@mkher you keep saying they're completely unknown color and size, like you can't see them. Are you visually impaired? Not trying to be mean, this thread just doesn't make much sense.
Google and compare pictures.

@fullofredgoo The picture above your post shows something very like what I can find, but the ones here are a bit lighter and grayer. From Sue Beardsley's post and picture, I must have the brown lentils. Maybe the ones here are just older (not much of a market for them here) and grayed out.

I haven't used Instant Pot for cooking lentils. I just cook mine on the stovetop with onions, chopped carrots, seasonings. They cook fast for me and don't have to wait for IP to pressure up.

I love lentil soup. I only use red/orange lentils. Cooks up smooth, not hard and lumpy. I don't care for brown lentils.

@mkher flat and brownish are brown lentils. Sounds like under cooking. Cook more and then into soup. Mail ordering black lentils or French green lentils is the best way to get the ones you are finding precooked in the refrigerated section.

What color are your lentils? Orange? Green? Brown? Black? In my experience the orange ones produce the smoothest results.

Back