How to Cook Generic Lentils in an IP for a Creamy Texture Instead of Grainy

I cook lentils frequently in my ipot. Grainy means it’s not cooked through. Lentils are usually green when you find them at big box stores. About 2/3 as wide as your pinky nail.
Other varieties I use are often heirloom, and usually come about half that wide. Red, black, etc. I find it fun to use the other colors to create a complement to black rice, etc.
Lentil creaminess is often tied to fats/oils, and potatoes in the recipe IMO. Most Ipot cheat sheets on the web list “normal lentils,” from what I’ve seen. 8-12 min +NPR. Whereas the tiny reds are about 1 min+ NPR.

I soak mine for several hours and cook for 5 minutes in the pot with a controlled release. I leave remove and strain and heavy cream and put in my food processor. I only use orange lentils.

Are you looking where the dry beans are? Not in the specialty sections of your store? I shop at Kroger/Publix/Ingles and I can usually find red, yellow, or brown lentils. I’ve had the most success with brown (green?). I haven’t tried the yellow but the red were so red in my recipe that it was a bit of a turnoff

@cbaltzking I went back to Publix today and looked in both the International section and the dried bean section. Oddly enough, the International section had only generic lentils, no designation of type, but they had gotten in some red lentils in the dried bean section! They did not have the different kinds of lentils before now. I will try the red lentils. Thank you.

@mkher depends on what you're cooking. Red lentils are not suitable for every recipe.. Like Brown/Green lentils are. If they're tasting grainy they're not cooked enough.

I cook lentils a lot, you must cook according to the variety of lentil you are using. No one specific cook time for all.

I guess you're just not cooking lentils if you can't do any of the suggestions. Use them for Christmas decorations

Back