IP Duo Didn’t Produce Expected Broth Amount - Counter Messed Up Too!

marke2

I tried the Search option but don’t know how to word this- I haven’t used the IP Duo in about 5 months, today put turkey bones in the strainer basket to make broth, added water to the FULL line set it for 2 hours.. set it to sauté, lid off for about 30 minutes before it bubbled (that’s kinda long) then put the lid on, set it to Pressure, normal high.. it took forever to start the countdown.. probably another 40 minutes (no steam escaping, the seal was in place), processed x 2 hours, shut off, I let it do natural release.. when I took off the lid, no visible broth.. took out the strainer.. 1’ of broth was in the pot!! I expected about 4 quarts like I usually get..
however, the drip cup was full and the counter behind the pot was standing in brothy water.. what happened? I took out the seal, looks ok and was properly seated, the little pop up thing wasn’t crusty.. the weight looked normal.
I feel robbed!!
TYIA

It sounds like it boiled over and leaked out. Are you sure the seal was seated properly? It can take a long time for a full pot to reach pressure. I would not have used the saute feature first ...just set it to pressure cook and I think it would have been fine. I have to think that the pot was not sealed because otherwise the liquid would not have boiled out like that:)

@samualmathews
It was, in fact AT the full
Line..
I’m thinking it was too full.. it’s the closest I’ve ever filled it in the 5 years I’ve had it.. I may have gotten carried away!!
You think it just slowly dripped out? There was no steam coming from
Anywhere and come to think of it, the natural release only took about 15 minutes where it’s usually about 25

@marke2 No, what happens is during the boiling process while it's trying to come to pressure it boils up and then leaks out from the top. We have seen this happen many times. We have actually seen it try the electronics in the front control panel so you are actually very lucky! But it does sound like it boiled all the liqiud out.

@marke2 When you finish up today just try to clean it up as good as you can and then turn it upside down on a towel and let it dry for 72 hours. It may be ok after that…it’s hard to tell. We recommend this when someone has poured water in the base without the SS pot and it’s usually ok after that so try it and see:)

Some pots have a max line for non-pressure cycles, and then another (maybe marked 2/3, iirc?) lower down for pressure cooking. But if it was too full I’m not sure it would carry on leaking until there was only 1 inch of broth in the bottom. 🤔

@kbulls
Let me look at the pot..
it has a one half full line and then about an inch up. It has a max full line PC. .. I was at the max PC line… I’m sure that’s what it is ! 

Thank you all so much! I knew yall would know what I did to the poor thing!
It’s honestly the only incident I’ve ever encountered with the IP.. usually I get exactly what I plan and expect..
😃

@booknpen
Like when pressure canning, kinda? I guess that’s the same principle.. not enough air to compress, too much water for the pressure to fight with 🤷

@marke2 honestly, the Max fill line is for liquids. Just bot supposed to go past it. So it should have been fine.
It will take a long time to come to pressure though… about an hour. For the 6 q.
But it is still cooking for that time just not a hard rolling boil inside yet.
But if any of your seals were having a hard time then it would be fighting pressuring up as fast as its losing steam.
And it would also cause extra time to come up to peressure and pop the pin up IF it ever does or did.
The counter wet is fact that you lost liquid from somewhere. So trace that back to fix it for next time.?

This happened to me as well! I adjusted the ring added water to fill and ran it 3xs 120 min took the strainer basket out added all I needed for soup and ran it again 2xs the end result! Yum!

Back