Issues with Sauté Mode and Pressure Cooking on New IP (10 in 1 6qt)

pleasantgirl

Hi everyone, my name is Chloe, i'm pretty shy and i've been member of this community for some time now. I received a brand new IP (10 in 1 6qt) for my b-day in March and i've been trying to tame it since
😅
. I found this group very active and helpful, it helped me better understand the product and find solutions to common IP problems, but I'm still unfamiliar with some functionnalities and settings. I think it might be my turn to ask for help.
I tried some classic recipes with the IP and I seem do have some difficulties grasping the sauté mode. Whenever i follow a recipe and start the mode, it takes like forever when preheating. I've tried starting the sauté mode with and without the lid and I get different results everytime (pressure building for exemple, fast heating with the lid but loose heat when i take it off, sometimes no problem with or without the lid..). The food is good in the end but never really the consistency and quality i'm looking for in a recipe.
Also, whenever after using the sauté mode and starting the pressure cook, it seems that the machine just doesn't pressure it. I have to restart the whole pressure process and i loose a lot of time when doing a recipe. This specifically happen after using the sauté mode only.
I didnt try the other modes so i don't know if the problem is particular to the sauté mode or not. I did not call the company either, hoping maybe finding some experts in this group able to help me out.
🤗

Does anyone have similar problem or is it me that doesn't understand the modes correctly ? Maybe a problem with the display menu? Anything to help me better understand this setting overall??
Thanks in advance for all the answers, it would reallly help me understand and encourage me to continue using the IP in general ! I'm sorry for the long post, let me know if i'm not clear because english is not my first language. Also sorry if someone already asked the question in the group, if there's already been an answer to this, simply copy paste it here !
Thank you everyone!

It sounds like when you saute you don't thoroughly deglaze the pot. Make sure you scrape up any stuck parts on the bottom of the inner pot with a wooden spoon.

When we use sauté mode we never put the lid on. We are using the IP like a frying pan essentially. For example….we have a chicken and dumplings recipe we love in the IP. The first step is to sauté the onions, carrots, and celery. After they are sautéed (and we turn the sauté function off) we add the broth, chicken, spices, and dumplings. When everything is in the pot we use the high pressure cook mode (lid on and locked). We cook to specified time and follow specific directions for quick or natural release of steam. Really consistent results.
The more you use it the more comfortable you will be. I got several IP recipe books from the library initially to help me figure out how to use it.

I found that the sauté mode heats too fast for me so I only use the pressure cooking mode. I cook my protein separately so I control the flavor. The when I put it in the pot it starts warming and then I add the rest of the ingredients . Your not alone. Good luck.

If your having issues sounds like your using bad recipes. They will give you detailed instructions and tell you exactly what to do. Saute does take some time to get hot but not that long. Do not use the lid at all when sauting. If you not scraping the bottom after you saute before pressure cooking it will not come to pressure and cause a burn notice.

Have you used any of the @lollypoppies recipes? He has 4 cookbooks or you can get his recipes from his Pressure Luck Cooking website. Every step is shared, with pictures! It is easier to assist you with troubleshooting an issue with your IP or a setting such as Sauté when we know you are working with recipes that have been tested and confirmed to work.

You don't use the lid when you saute. You need to leave it off.
When you're switching from one function to another you do have to cancel out of the one you're already using before you can start the other one. You have to shut one off first before you can turn the next one on.
Would be a good idea for you to sit down and read the little manual that came with your machine.
Nothing to tame. It's not a wild animal.

SAUTÉ AND COOKING LEVELS
This is about sautéing in all the IPs. If you have an older model IP, like the LUX or the older DUO, you may have the “Adjust” button for the 3 cooking levels. On the newer IPs, just press the Sauté button several times (or use the dial) until you get the level you want …….
- use “Less” mode for simmering, thickening, reducing liquids and for foods that may burn easily;
- use “Normal” or “Medium” mode for searing;
- use “More” mode for browning and stir-frying.
***Some newer models (like the CRISP models) only have “Hi” and “Low” with some having a Custom feature. So, be sure to check your User Manual)***
After you set the Sauté function to the level you want (less, normal or more), it will start heating up the pot. DO NOT PUT IN YOUR OIL/butter, etc. (if using) YET! When it reaches the temperature for the setting, the display will show “HOT”. You THEN put in the oil, butter, etc. (if using), wait a minute or two for the oil to heat (usually will start shimmering), put in whatever you are cooking, let it brown until it will turn easily without sticking to the bottom of the pan, turn and brown other side the same way, cancel Sauté and then continue per whatever the recipe you are using says to do.
During sautéing, the lid needs to be opened at all time to avoid pressure building up. If the lid is closed, the display may show a flashing “Lid”.
After sautéing and before pressure cooking, you need to deglaze the inner pot. Deglazing involves adding a thin liquid like wine, water or broth to the hot surface and scraping the bottom with a silicone scraper or wooden spatula to remove the caramelized and brown bits that are stuck. Leave the bits in the liquid to add flavor. Then, be sure to “Cancel” before setting your “Pressure Cook” time.
During the sauté process, the display may periodically show “HOT” again as it heats up to temperature again.
Also, the Sauté function, on most older models, has a 30 minute automatic timer and will shut off when the 30 minutes is reached. Don’t panic! If you need more time, just press CANCEL and then Sauté again for another 30 minutes! Some of the newer models allow you to set a time longer than 30 minutes.
You will still have to experiment a bit to see which levels work best for what you want to do. Each IP model seems to be a bit hotter or cooler. The newer models seem to be hotter.

Back