Issues with Sauté Mode and Pressure Cooking on New IP (10 in 1 6qt)

check out pressure luck cooking, all his recipes are step-by-step and video. He also has YouTube that shows you everything also.

I never use the lid when I saute. One of our IP has high or low for heat so usually do high. Within a few minutes it says hot so I add oil then whatever I'm browning . Then I either scoop meat/veg out and add thin liquid and scrape bottom with wood or silicone spatula,or leave mixture in and add liquid and scrape. Then continue with recipe.Saute off ,lid on,select pressure and cook. Soon it becomes second nature and you will be an IP wizard.🥰

@pleasantgirl: Sauté by definition does not use a lid; use sauté as if you were stir frying. My IP model has 3 levels for saute "less", "normal", and "more". On my model, it will at least a minute to heat up before it says "Hot".
Post a recipe with the steps you are doing, so people can help you troubleshoot the issue better.

I am wondering if after you finish sautéing your dish, do you press cancel, and then program the IP to pressure cook? Also for some models you press manual and then it starts to pressure cook. And some models you program it and then press start. I wrote an IP cookbook and had to put in specific instructions which was really hard because not all models have the same buttons!

The sauté has three settings. Maybe yours is on low. By pushing the sauté button again and again it will change the temperature to high. The display will say “hot” when it is ready to sauté. If too hot you can lower the temp.
After sautéing you press cancel. (No lid when sautéing as you will be stirring the food as it cooks - same as sautéing in a skillet on the stove)
When done sautéing you will usually add your liquid (water, broth, etc.)… Make sure to stir the food and make sure the bottom of the liner is clear (no food stuck on it) so that you do not get a burn signal. Now you put the lid on to seal pot. Press pressure cook (might say manual) and put in the correct time for your recipe. (The sealing ring must be correctly in the lid.) The instant pot will need to come to pressure before the time starts. That can vary time wise but around 15 minutes. Depends on the food inside the pot - amount of food, temperature of food, etc. When time is up you either do a natural release or quick release per recipe you are using. When pin drops it is safe to open. Best of luck!
Note.. for some recipes it is important to layer the food and not stir. This is because some foods will stick to the bottom of the pot and can burn. So if the recipe says not to stir (you still want to make sure the liner bottom has nothing stuck on it - before layering) then do not stir. Follow the recipe instructions and you should be fine.

@adeodatus the only thing that I see missing on all of these great tutorials is that when you set the IP to pressure cook, make sure to turn the valve to SEAL. If it's on VENT it will not come to pressure. 😁

For great recipes and directions, try Amy and Jacky recipes, or Rootitoot.
For how do it use this, I read How to Instant Pot by Daniel Shumski, and it was the single book that really explained things to me.

This shouldn’t explain the different modes/settings

This channel has lots of great tips and information.
The recipes are well tested, easy to follow & step by step
instructions!
Enjoy Tiborco Cooking. Easy To make Recipes Instant Pot.
Best Food Recipes and Ideas. It will make a difference.

Turn on sauté……wit until the digital screen says HOT. Add your oil….wait a few seconds and add your ingredients. If it is meat use the same rule you would on the stovetop….don’t crowd it or it will just stew in the juices. Once your sauté has reached the desirable results, add a splash of wine, broth or water and using a wooden spoon to scrape the brown goodness off the bottom. Push button to turn off sauté. Add your ingredients, place lid and cook as directed. Don’t put the lid on with sauté mode. Let meat warm up for about 30 minutes on the counter before sautéing. Don’t try to move meat in sauté mode until it releases naturally….it doesn’t take long. Once you push the sauté mode, you can use the plus or minus to increase or decrease the temp. I have the oldest model IP…..6 quart. Others may be able to help with newer models.

Back