Instant Pot Troubles: Recipes Taking Longer and Slow Cooking Issues - What Am I Doing Wrong?

Always surprised at these comments as I use the slow cooker function all the time and it just works, I don’t ever use it on low though

It may be that you are at a higher altitude? Or making a larger amount of food than the recipe calls for? Or that you haven’t used at least 1 cup of water or broth to create enough steam for the duration you need? Have you done a water test again to see if the heating element and your seal are working properly? If it is none of these things or the water test takes a long time, contact IP customer service.

Depending on the generation of IP, that slow cooker button is for decorative purposes only. I actually re-invested in a good crock pot again. I love the IP type things for a lot but it is most definitely not a crock pot.

The slow cooker setting on the IP only heats the bottom of the pot so use on high as recommended and don’t use it for a large amount of food.

I use my IP slow cooker function often. The trick is in the prep.
Whether it's a roast, a pot of chili, or chicken and dumplings the trick is to use the pot to prep the ingredients before switching to the slow cook function. I love this because it means I don't have to dirty a separate pan to sear the roast, brown the hamburger, or bake the chicken like I do when using my crockpot. In fact, chicken pressure cooked is much easier to shred.
For example, when I make chili, I use the Sauté function to brown the meat. I drain the grease from the meat in a colander. Meanwhile, I Sauté the onions, garlic, etc and deglaze the pot. Then I add all my other ingredients and set it on Slow Cook on high. Be sure you stir occasionally. Works like a charm.
I've read tons of complaints on this page about the Slow Cook function not heating food well or taking forever compared to a crockpot. I decided to test it one day using my method. I checked the temperature with a digital kitchen thermometer periodically. At 4 hours, my chili was 202⁰F. Plenty hot.

Back