Instant Pot Troubles: Recipes Taking Longer and Slow Cooking Issues - What Am I Doing Wrong?

With Jeffery Eisners recipes I find we are happier if I add a minute to his times and that is simply preference but there are a lot of others who have IP recipes out there and I have heard they are not as tried and true as Jeffrey’s!

Whether its IP or slow cooker are you changing the setting? You can chg LO- Med-Hi then chg time, how long you want it to cook.

The slow cooker function is not a Crock Pot. Nothing will ever beat a Crock Pot for slow cooking. I find a couple recipe authors and exclusively follow them. Most other fly-by-night instant pot recipe authors have recipes that didn’t even come close to creating a recipe that resulted in something edible. And like everyone complains about, I don’t have the emotional bandwidth to read through your childhood or relationship with your father to get to a recipe that fails to yield satisfactory results. I’m 🦀 like that!

I prefer to use the good old crockpot for slow cooking. Instant pot does not do a good job for slow cooking. However IP pressure cook option is great. I suggest you find a pressure cook version of the recipe and try that in instant pot.

This channel has lots of great tips and information.
The recipes are well tested, easy to follow & step by step
instructions!
Enjoy Tiborco Cooking. Easy To make Recipes Instant Pot.
Best Food Recipes and Ideas. It will make a difference.

My 8qt takes much longer than all the recipes say. I think most recipes are written with the 6qt in mind, which cooks faster.

If you bought the IP intending on using it only as a slow cooker then you are missing the point of the IP. You can technically slow cook in it but that's not it's strength. I still use my crock pot if I want to slow cook something. But I don't slow cook hardly anything.... I pressure cook things which is why I bought the IP

Slow cookers and crockpots don't cook the same way. Slow cookers only heat from the bottom where crockpots heat all around (due to being made of a different material). The best tip I found on here is to bring the contents to a boil then switch to slow cook MORE and use a glass lid. It works great.

I made stuffed peppers in my IP a couple of days ago using the pressure cook option. Took 8 minutes; I added some cheese on top, served with a bit of warmed sauce and they were perfect. I've never tried using the slow cook setting...seems like a waste of an IP. Why not just use it for its primary function of pressure cooking?

Recipes state pressure time but not how long it will take to get to pressure. WHY,, because it depends on what you are cooking and how much you have in the pot. Instant pots heat from the bottom, crockpots heat from the sides as well as the bottom.

Back