Maximizing the Slow Cooker Function on Instant Pot Duo: Tips and Model Upgrades

ariels

I have an Instant Pot Duo and I would like to hear from those who have successfully used it as a slow cooker.
I know the general consensus is that it doesn't come close to a standard crock pot slow cooker.
However I have very limited counter space in my tiny kitchen and would like to try to get my IP to work as a slow cooker.
What considerations do I need to make to get the best out of IPs slow cook function?
Also did any of the newer models improve the slow cook function? I've considered upgrading also to be able to get the air fry function, but would also be good to know if there is one where the slow cook function works better too.

I use mine as a slow cooker for a recipe that has a sauce with a flour base that needs to thicken. Wouldn't work in the pressure cooker because it would constantly have a burn food problem. The advice I was given was always use it on high and allow extra time. Works fine for me

Brown you meat on the sauté setting, remove from pot. Deglaze pot with your broth, add in rest of ingredients and heat on the sauté setting. Switch to slow cook and use high setting. It will need longer than a traditional slow cooker. I just use a regular lid on mine. I have never had a fail doing it this way.

Sear the meat on sauté, deglaze, then add everything else. Set on the high temp slow cook setting. Getting it hot first seems to do the trick.

I love having the option of using slow cook mode. I don’t use it for large roasts. I use it when I have a sauce that I don’t want to dilute with water/broth. I also use it for my daughter’s chili recipe. I do use a glass lid and always start on “more” then check it in about 20 minutes as it is usually boiling so I turn it down. Some people say it takes longer but that has not been my experience.

A newer model won't help, the key difference is the ceramic vs steel pot. Instant pot head is mostly from the bottom. Crock pot is bottom, up the sides and from the top down, when you resist opening the lid frequently.

@ariels The newer models actually do have major improvements to the slow cook function, they work quite well. The non stick liner is ceramic coated aluminum, so it won't make a huge difference

Thanks everyone..
I'm happy to keep doing larger cuts of meat my pressure cooking but as some mentioned when it is a more saucy dish I would prefer to slow cook!
I'm going to try slow cooker butter chicken tomorrow and see how it goes.
My plan is to
Brown chicken on saute, and soften onions and garlic
Add rest of ingredients and let it heat for a few min still on sauce, probably until I have steam produced but not completely boiling/bubbling.
Switch to Slow Cook High for 4-5 hours. The recipe says 4 hours high for a standard crock pot, I've read else where +15 min for every hour when using the IP will set to 5hours and check after 4 to see how it looks.
I plan to start this in the morning at 9/10am so there's no chance of it not being done by dinner, we'll see how it goes!

Back