Struggling with Overcooked Food on Instant Pot Max: Tips for Adapting Recipes?

lisa37

I have an Instant Pot Max. I find that even on the ‘high’ pressure setting (not the max setting) pressure cooked food tends to be overdone…for example, short ribs *really* fall off the bone. Does anyone else have this problem, and a rule to adapt recipes to the max? I bought not knowing it had the Max setting (that I have no use for—I don’t can food), but I like the machine a lot, especially the delayed start, and the ease of use, so not interested in getting a different IP.

1. Shorten Cook Time: If the food is getting too tender, just try cooking it for a shorter time. Start by cutting a few minutes off the recipe and see how it turns out.
2. Go Low Pressure: Instead of using the “high” pressure setting, switch to the “low” pressure setting. It’s less intense and can help avoid overcooking.
3. Be Patient: After cooking, let the pressure release naturally instead of the quick release. This can keep the food from falling apart.
4. Cool It Down: Try using slightly lower temperatures than the recipe suggests. It’s like giving your food a gentle simmer instead of a rapid boil.
5. Get a Cheat Sheet: Look up an Instant Pot cooking time cheat sheet online. It’s like having a handy reference to adjust your recipes as needed.

@sillythewilly I agree on #1, and on #2 for delicate items that overcook easily, like veggies. But #3 - food continues to cook during NPR. It's a good idea to NPR meats, but they are likely to fall apart more with a longer NPR. You definitely don't want to NPR with anything that easily overcooks, like pasta. #4 - What temperature? Unless you are talking about Sauté steps, there is no temperature adjustment when pressure cooking. #5 - Most cheat sheets I've seen are highly inaccurate, and if she's already having trouble with foods overcooking, those cheat sheets might just make it worse. Better to follow trusted recipes from reliable sources.

@iamacountnotasaint your input is much appreciated!
1. Shortening the cook time can indeed be a quick fix to prevent overcooking.
2. I agree, the “low” pressure setting is particularly useful for delicate items like veggies.
3. Your point about NPR affecting the texture of meats is valid. It’s essential to consider the specific recipe and the desired outcome when deciding whether to use NPR.
4. Regarding temperature adjustment, you’re correct; I should clarify that the Instant Pot controls the pressure and not the cooking temperature during the pressure cooking phase.
5. Your caution about cheat sheets is well-taken. Using trusted recipes from reliable sources is undoubtedly a safer bet, especially for those who are experiencing overcooking issues.
Thanks again for sharing your expertise! It’s always helpful to have a variety of perspectives when it comes to cooking with an Instant Pot. 😊🍲

I too have the Max. I have found that ALL recipes need to be adapted not only because of the model, but because I also live at 8000 feet. MOST times I have to increase the time under pressure by a couple of minutes.

@supdude1964 Interesting. I'm at sea level, and am finding that I generally need to decrease the minimum cooking time in most instant pot recipes by about 20%. But we prefer what many people would consider undercooked...medium rare beef, that sort of thing.

@lisa37 That makes sense. I've been at this for quite some time, and always encourage folks to try small batches first of what they want to cook, so that they can learn the proper settings based on their IP. For instance, don't start with a dozen eggs for the first time; don't start with 2 cups of rice for the first time, etc. Every IP is a little bit different as is the environment in which one is cooking.

Back