Struggling with Thickening Gravy in My Instant Pot – Tips Needed!

Not sure about your recipe. But to get gravy to thicken you need some fat added or from your meat. And it needs to come to a full boil.

I put sauté on high, wait until I get a boil then I use a flour slurry, alittle at a time and whisk away until I get the consistency I want.

I have mixed results using cornstarch. You could try using a dry roux. It can be made on the stovetop, in the oven or microwave. Do an Internet search and find the method that works best for you. It's simply toasted flour that can be used to thicken sauces, soups, gumbo, or other thin liquids into gravy. I keep it in a jar in my pantry.

The ratio of cornstarch to room temperature liquid to make the slurry is 1:1. Bring instant pot liquid to a boil. Then slowly add slurry, stirring all the ti.e until gravy texture.

You are right. Your IP is cursed. I make gravy and it thickens every time! Seriously, do you know how much liquid and cornstarch you are using? Could you be misjudging the quantities?

@bushra well, maybe try pouring the liquid into whatever kind of pan you would normally use for gravy in case you are underestimating the quantity of liquid. I’d usually make about 1.5 cups of gravy and use two heaped tsp of thickener.

Back