Struggling with Thickening Gravy in My Instant Pot – Tips Needed!

Do you add the cornstarch to a little cold water and stir till smooth, then add to your recipe. If it isn't thick enough add more slurry.

@bushra hmmmmm, well, I just don’t know, then. 🥹 I bring the liquid to a boil, stir in flour, and perhaps a little milk, broth, wine, if too thick. Just like stovetop gravy. 😃

I mix a big spoon full to a little cold water, then when stock is light bubbling pour in & stir, should thicken up after a couple of min, of not it's to little cornstarch for the quanty of liquid, if a lot of liquid remove some, keep or freeze when cool for another day.

I use arrowroot instead of cornstarch. Do you mix it with cold water? You can skip that and add a can of cream of mushroom/celery/chicken soup.

I use the same amount of arrowroot as you would cornstarch, one heaping tablespoon per cup of liquid. Sometimes it isn’t enough, whether I’m using corn starch or arrowroot.

Cornstarch has to be mixed in COLD water to make the slurry. Then add that to the bubbling HOT liquid to make gravy. Cornstarch slurry should be made with equal parts water and cornstarch.

Make sure you sauté on high to get the liquid boiling first, then add the slurry. Use a 2:1 ratio of cornstarch to cold water.

I use xanthum gum. I need about 1-2 tsp in my 6 qt. It gets thick quick so add slowly till you get the thickness you want. It adds no flavor and you can put it right into the pot and stir. I do this on the keep warm setting

Back