Struggling with Thickening Gravy in My Instant Pot – Tips Needed!

Just use more cornstarch than you think you need. I use about 4 healing tablespoons in just enough water to be able to mix and with till your liquid I'd boiling before whisking in keep adding until it's as thick as you want

I’ve had the same problem. I think the IP doesn’t get the liquid hot enough, so I pour the liquid into a saucepan and when it boils add the cornstarch slurry.

You may not be using enough of the cornstarch or flour. I tend to have the opposite issue. I start with at least 2 tablespoons of flour or cornstarch and equal amount of water (for cornstarch) and 2 to 1 water (flour) ratios. Make sure your liquid is boiling rapidly before you stir in your mixture. Cornstarch will thicken right away. For flour it will take a minute or two and you’ll want to simmer it for about 5 mins to cook that flour taste out. Then if it’s not as thick as you want it just add more until you get it to your liking:)

Does the liquid you are trying to thicken come to a boil when on Saute? It should. If not then the saute feature is not working on the ip.

Cornstarch doesn’t thicken up to the consistency of flour, but you can get it thick. I mix it with cold water or cold milk before adding it in. I use a lot to get it to thicken.

Back