Can I Use the Glass Lid for Slow Cooking After Starting with Sauté?

jazeps

I like to start my recipes on the sauté setting…especially bacon, onions, peppers, etc. (no lid) but, I’ve never completed cooking on the “slow cook” setting. Can you use the glass lid for 6 hours to finish the slow cook method? (Pic for example)

1726294517759.png

you can.. however, it was designed to use with the lid. the slow cook has a bit of a learning curve - Low is " keep warm" and High is " Low" on other slow cookers. Using the regular lid will hold more heat and help everything perform better. I attempted to cook vegetable soup on the low setting one day and had crunchy vegetables in lukewarm broth when I came home!

@jazeps - Yes. … Some of the newer models, like the Pro series, may work better. Be sure to read the Users Manual as they have improved the Slow Cooker function. For all models, This might be helpful … HOW TO USE YOUR INSTANT POT AS A SLOW COOKER
“It is not as straightforward as you would think to use your Instant Pot as a Slow Cooker. This guide walks you through the modifications you need to know when using your pressure cooker as a slow cooker so that you can have Instant Pot success!”
With VIDEO

@yogesh yes. I did. I used the glass lid.
I cooked on high and set on 6 hours. I did a thick cabbage, pinto bean, onion, green pepper, tomato juice and petite diced tomatos, soup for trying the slow cook function. It took a full 8hrs for the cabbage to get to soft stage. It was very good but now know how to better use the slow cook.
NEXT TIME:
I will saute onions, garlic, green pepper and ground turkey. Add rest of ingredients. Leave on salute to get it all hot. Then put on slow cook and try 4hours.
My concern is if I want to slow cook a roast, will it be at a safe temperature for 6-8 hours.

Yes! And if you ever proof dough in your instant pot - use this glass lid! If you use the regular lid and your bread proofs really high - the lid can vapor lock!

Why take 6 hours when you can get the same results in much less time using the pressure setting. Yogurt is the only recipe that makes sense to have to do slowly. I guess it’s just familiarity.

Back