Cooking a 3-Pound Roast in the Instant Pot – Tips for a Newbie!

flamemaster

Okay so I’m absolutely awful with my instant pot. The only thing I can do successfully is cook rice
😅
😅
But this morning I forgot to put my roast in the crockpot (pregnancy brain
😂
🙄
)
So I need lots of help and have lots of questions
😅
😅
How long do I cook a 3 pound roast in the instant pot? I usually cook mine in the crockpot on high for 9 hours.
Does it need liquid? I don’t ever put liquid in with my roast in the crockpot and I’m worried it will effect the flavor? I also usually put in my veggies first and then the roast so they have time to cook in the liquid.. and then rotate them halfway through so the roast is super tender. Can I do that without messing it all up?
I have no faith in myself when it comes to the instant pot
😅
😅
😅
so please HELP.

How large is the roast? (Nine hours on high in the crockpot sounds incredibly too long.) Size and cut are umportant details to know.

@hazeloak , I am aware of that time being for a slow cooker. I usually cook a roast in the crockpot no more than 4-5 hours on high, which is the basis for my comment.

Always use liquid!!!!! You can get inserts if you don't want your items in the liquid. I find recipes online and have a couple of cookbooks for the IP. Some of this is done by experimentation.

Add 1 to 2 cups of beef broth and put it on manual high for 55-60 minutes. That should give you a nice medium well roast. If you want it, rare, then I would suggest 50minutes.

I always use this for seasoning. I just pour it over the top and then add one cup of beef broth to the bottom of your instant pot. Don’t forget to put the roast on the trivit.

I just cooked about a 3 pound roast in my Insta pot on high pressure for an hour with a cup of liquid. delish and tender.

Depends the cut....a chuck roast for 70 minutes with a cup of water. The pot needs a thin liquid to help it come to pressure. I season, and saute mine on both sides...deglaze, and cook on the rack with a chopped onion .....doing a 4# chuck roast right now..the veggies are added after you remove the roast to "rest", and cooked for 5 minutes in the juice

On this page, touch the search icon and type in pot roast (or the type of roast you are cooking—chuck, arm, etc). Scroll up for a recipe. Yes, you need at least one cup of water for it to come to pressure. I usually cook my roast on high pressure for 90 minutes and let it release naturally at least 15 minutes before releasing the pressure. If it feels done when testing with a fork, remove it and add your veggies. Check your seal to be sure it is still seated, put your lid back on and cook for an additional 5-8 minutes depending on how small you cut up your potatoes and carrots. It won’t take long to come to pressure since it will already be hot. You may want to add seasonings before cooking according to some of the recipes, since it requires more when pressure cooking.

Back