Cooking a 3-Pound Roast in the Instant Pot – Tips for a Newbie!

Here's my absolute favorite roast recipe:

You need 1-2 cups thin liquid depending on if you have a 6 or 8qt IP. If you are leaving your roast whole, then I would do 90 minutes high pressure and at natural release. If you are cutting it up in 1# chunks, then 45 min. You can either wrap your veggies in foil and cook with which would prevent them from turning into mush, or after your roast is done add your veggies and HP for another 8-10 minutes.

Yes it needs liquid. I put the meat in first. I cook the meat for 1 1/2 hours. Then I add the veggies and cook for 1/2 hour more. I use 1 cup broth and 1 cup of red wine. Good luck. On the final 1/2 hour let the pot release naturally. It should take about 1/2 hour.

Put the pot on Saute. Season all sides of the roast with salt pepper garlic powder onion powder.
Add a couple tablespoons oil to the hot pot. Brown the roast on all sides. A minute or so per side.
Remove the roast. Add two cups broth of any kind or water. Scrape off all the stuck on bits from the pot. (Deglaze) Add the roast back in. Seal and cook high pressure 60 minutes.
Allow 10 minutes natural pressure release. Release remaining pressure. Remove the roast and put on a plate covered with foil to keep warm.
Add chopped vegetables to the pot. Seal and pressure cook 10 minutes. Quick pressure release.
Remove the vegetables. Make a slurry with 3 tablespoons flour and 1/4 cup water. Add to the pot (on Saute Low) to thicken the gravy.
Enjoy!

2 cups broth. 70 minutes. Release pressure after 10 minutes ( after the 70 minute cook time). I did one last night and it was perfect.
Can add veggies in at this point I did carrots and potatoes cooked 5 minutes then instant release. Made gravy on the stove with drippings.

@mercyreigns
Why make the gravy on the stove? Once the meat is out and the veggies are cooked and removed, hit cancel then sauté. Make a slurry of cornstarch and water. Add to the juices, stir and let it thicken.

I watched YouTube Instant Pot recipes videos. These videos will walk you through step by step. Try Six Sisters videos. This is how I gained my confidence in using my IP. Good luck! 😊

First of all, have a little faith in yourself.I cook all sorts of food in Instant Pot,but I'm not very good with rice..yet. Yes you must have a thin liquid for a pressure cooker to work. For a roast I usually use beef broth. 3lb. Would be about 70 minutes,then a natural pressure release. I add extra seasoning for pressure cooking, except salt. There a several good recipes and videos, Pressureluck,Rootitoot, Amy Jacky. Check them out when you get time.

I do 20 min per lb on pressure cooker feature. Before this I use the sauté feature after seasoning to sear the meat on all sides in oil. Deglaze the pot of any sticky brown bits so the burn feature doesn’t engage. I use wine, water, or stock. You will need water/stock/broth to use the pressure cooker feature. I don’t add veggies until the meat is done, unless you want them pulverized. Hope this helps.

Follow a tried and true recipe like Pressure Luck recipes online or Rootitoot or Six Sisters or Amy and Jackie for best results. They will have correct layering, quantity of thin liquid and correct time

This is the best recipe ever! Quick tip. Cut your roast into three sections for best results.

Back