Cooking a 3-Pound Roast in the Instant Pot – Tips for a Newbie!

Once you cook it in the instant pot you won’t want to cook it any other way. I love the pressure luck cooking recipe!

Yes you need water to create steam , it your roast can sit on the trivet that came with it. Recipes say 20 min per lb, but I do 30, add a few more minutes per in for frozen. Cook your vegetables after the roast is done, also on the trivet. Take roast out to rest after pressure has released on its own for at least 10 min.and let veg cook, pressure will come back up quickly because the pot is still hot. I don't know how long for the veg, try 8 to 12 min. Can cook potatoes in one vessel and carrots stacked on top in another ( pot in pot method) if you don't want them in the water at the bottom

Put 1.5-2 cups liquid (either broth or water in the pot. Put in a trivet, and then the roast. Do 60 minutes high pressure. Do a complete natural release (don't release the steam, just let it sit on it's own) .
I don't usually do vegetables with the roast, because it is just too long. If you want to do them in there, do the roast. Take it out, and then do your veggies separate.

I learned everything I need to know by following Pressure Luck Cooking. This man can cook. He will have you cooking, and loving it, in no time.

Pressureluck and Rootitoot are both great resources for good recipes that turn out great every time. I see someone has already shared them. Pick the one you have the ingredient for. Take a deep breath, you got this!!!!! 👍🏻

I didn’t and still don’t use a trivet for a roast. I put the roast in and add beef broth instead of water up to the 1/2 mark on the inside of the liner. I usually set it for 80 minutes and then natural release for at least 30 or if it releases the lid(you hear the click) then I put my vegetables in for about 8-10 minutes. It’s already hot, it has to get back up to pressure so they are cooking the entire time. Keep in mind the longer you natural release, the more flavor and moisture stays in the meat. Start to finish it usually takes me about
2 1/2 hours.
You got this!! Just relax and have faith! Blessings!!

Back