How Long to Pressure Cook Potatoes for Mashed Potatoes in a 6qt Instant Pot? Also, What Size Do You Cut Them?

valetic

UPDATE: Thank you everyone!! The 8 mins and only 2 cups of water worked fantastic!
How long do you all pressure cook your potatoes for, when making mashed potatoes in 6qt IP?
And - what size do you cut the potatoes?
I did a trial run for 1" cut @ 10mins with quick release... just like no less than 4 different recipies called for and the potatoes are mealy and taste kinda burnt. They were fully covered in water that was salted and not filled above the max fill line. TYIA

I cut medium potatoes in quarters and cook 8 minutes. 1.5 cups water. Quick release. Makes them soft enough to mash with a handheld potato masher easily.

I put 2 cups of water in my 8 quart pot. Put potatoes cut in thirds in a steamer basket and cook for 10 minutes. Doesn’t matter how many pounds. Whatever fits!

if you covered the potatoes with water it was too much liquid, 1 cup - 1 1/2 cups is all that is needed. I finally purchased the steamer basket as I make potatoes in the pot weekly and it makes a world of difference, the are less moist on the skin and tender inside. Probably would be perfect if peeled for mashing, and use some of the cooking liquid for mashed potatoes.

I peel and quarter the potatoes, use 1 cup liquid, pressure cook for 8 minutes with a CR (controlled release to prevent starchy splatter) in my 6 qt.. If you cut into smaller pieces you will need to reduce the cook time. When making potato salad I cut the potatoes into bite size pieces and cook for 4 minutes. To prevent gummy mashed potatoes do not use old or soft ones, overcook or over mix. After straining (I use a mesh basket) I place the potatoes into my stand mixer, add butter and any seasonings, using the lowest setting just break apart the potatoes. I then add cream or milk and mix until fluffy. In total I mix for about a total of one minute.

1- to 1 1/2 cup water or chicken broth, cut russets in to 1-2 inch chunks & cook for 8 mins do quick release & drain & mash & add butter, milk, and favorite seasonings

I cut my potatoes into 1-1/2 chunks and in my basket, with 1-1/2 cup water and cook for 14 minutes with about 5 minutes natural release. I learned to cook with factory’s setting so it say normal which to me is probably medium heat. Wife likes no lumps, but creamy so this works for us. In my 6 qt.

It takes much longer for the pot to come to pressure when there is a lot of liquid, and the food is cooking all that time it takes to come to pressure. Sounds like your potatoes were overcooked which likely account for the mealy consistency and off-taste. Also the smaller the pieces, the shorter time you would cook them. I would try a steamer basket, less water and less time.

A pressure cooker is designed to feel good by creating steam that gets over heated with nowhere to release and the pressure built up actually cooks the food. Depending on the quart size of your pot it is between 1-2 cups of water.

Back