Instant Pot Malfunction - Pressure Seal Issues and No Receipt for Return

Do a water test. If your pot is a 6qt use 1 cup of water, if it is an 8qt use 1½ cups of water. Make sure your valve is set to "sealing". This is a great way to make sure your pot is functioning as it is intended to.
With the burn notice, the issue is likely the recipes and not the pot.

@air%C5%8D - when I did a test run in my 8 qt, I added 2 cups of water but when pressure built, it started spewing steam. I checked the gasket and valves, tried again but got the same results. I went online and looked for help and someone posted to add 4 cups instead so I did and it worked just fine.

Call the customer service number for InstaPot. They will ask for the numbers on the label. I’m sure they’d be glad to help you. They sent me a new part and I didn’t have the receipt or box either.

Everything is probably fine. There’s a learning curve. Tomato stuff tends to burn. You can pressure cook, but also you can sauté with the lid off. When you want to pressure cook, make sure you follow a recipe specific to the IP till you get the hang of it. Also, here’s the crazy thing that will always save your dinner. The I P doesn’t care that you tried to set up and 17 times in a row got confused or did it wrong. You can always cancel and start over.

I have had a problem with that as well. I give my lid a jiggle and push down on it and haven’t had that problem in a long time. Worth a try

Sounds like you don't have enough liquid (leading to the burn notice) and or the seal is not seated correctly. Before you start, make sure the seal is in place all the way around. I run my finger around on it and sometimes you can see a little bit that didn't seat right. Given the recipes, I think you should make sure they have enough liquid as this is how the pressure works. Finally, make sure the valve on top is set to seal. I have also read here that Instant Pot customer service is very helpful.

The sea
If my pressure cooker doesn't want to seal, I just soak it in water and it seals. I'm sure instant pot works the same way

Best way to get advice is to post exactly what you put in the pot then a video of you setting the pot so we can trouble shoot for you most accurately!

Call Instant Pot. Explain your situation. They have tech support and will walk you through a solution. They will warranty it if there's a problem that's not fixable.

Same thing happened to me after cooking barley dinner. 1st I tested with just water and surmised it was not building pressure. I then did a thorough cleaning... focusing mostly on the lid, gasket and float valve.

Back