Instant Pot Cooking Time and Settings for Crispy Baby Red Potatoes

lurkerplasma

I want to cook baby red potatoes in my instant pot. The potatoes are no more then 2inches. I am going to coat each potatoe with some olive oil, salt, garlic powder, maybe rosemary. I plan on putting some scrunched up foil on the bottom to keep the potatoes elevated. I want the skins to be crispy, so no steaming.
What setting do I use and for how long?
Thanks for the help.
Update: I oiled and seasoned each potatoe before I put them into the IP. I filled the silver bowl to the rim, beyond the fill line (I ignored those warnings, lol), each potatoe was peirced with a fork. I have an 8qt IP, lots of 2 inch red potatoes.
We decided to use the pressure cook setting for 25 minutes on high with a crumpled foil cushion on the bottom.
The potatoes were delicious. The skin was not soft like it had been steamed and not exactly crisp but somewhere in between. A touch of crispness. The potato flesh was firm but completely cooked all of the way through. Nothing was burnt, overcooked or undercooked.
Next time, I plan to use the air fryer lid with the same set up. I think it will crisp the skins more. We will see.
Thanks for sharing all of your wisdom and tips. It helped tremendously.

Hi- Crispy skin is not something that cooking in IP will likely happen. I just made potatoes like that yesterday. Cooked through on IP until fork firm (not mushy), then a saute in olive oil. I did the latter in a pan on stovetop, as I had previously cooked the potatoes. Just delicious with some seasoned salt and ground pepper. (Disclosure, I have an older IP that does not have an air fry feature).

Air fryer is better for this. Or, I just put mine in the microwave for 6-8 minutes (doesn't crisp the skins, though). The IP isn't for everything.

You can't use a pressure cooker without any liquid. The IP book says never run the 6qt without at least 1cup, it won't pressurize. Need liquid to create steam to build pressure.

I’ve heard that IP “baked” potatoes are wonderful and want to try them! For crispy, I’ve used my air fryer and they are very good.

I did roasted potatoes....
Cut them into small wedges, tossed with olive oil and spices and put them in a pot inside that had a lid I laid over it.
I put the pot on top of a trivet. I had put the water needed in the bottom under the trivet.
the potatoes were not "crispy".... but they were good! I think I did like 8 min HP. Don't remember if I did NR or QR. But I usually let things NR if possible.

That would work in a slow cooker but not in the Instant Pot. (Although skins still wouldn’t be crispy)
As mentioned you need at least 1 cup of water Always to create pressure OR you need an air fryer lid if you want them to be crispy OR
Steam them on the trivet, throw out the water, add butter and/or oil and sauté them till golden
They are your options

Back