Overcoming Instant Pot Anxiety: Meat Cooking & Safety Concerns

Lol moment for me, the first time I used it I was afraid it would blow up so I went into another room. It didn’t blow up and most of the meals I’ve made have been amazing. Never had raw or undercooked chicken, beef or pork. Even pasta cooks perfect. Here’s what I made tonight. Tomato basil chicken.
I cooked the pasta on the side not in the instant pot.

I share your fear of underdone meat also. A meat thermometer is always handy no matter what mode of cooking you’re using. Especially if the meat is cooked in a sauce where you can’t just tell by sight.
As for the venting/sealing feature, I would just make sure the vent is always set to ‘sealing’ when you pressure cook. Follow trusted recipes (For example, Pressureluckcooking.com is reliable, so if you carefully follow the steps, you’ll be fine). Take a leap of faith! You won’t regret it. Good luck!

I only do the pressure cooking feature. I cook all my proteins and meats in a pan so I season and cook it how we like it. Then I put it in the pot, just like it would be if I cooked it in the pot, add more spice and rest of ingredients and cook it how we like it. When I cook as long as the lid is on the pin will pop up and lock it together. If that pin is up you can’t open the lid. Great safety feature. If you have a lot of steam escaping from the sealing knob then it’s in the wrong position. Good luck.

If you like pork baby back ribs, definitely a confidence builder first timer recipe! I like the Costco pre seasoned ribs.
4cupsApple juice, 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar, 1 Tbsp liquid smoke. Use the trivet n wrap those ribs inside and high pressure 30 minutes. Natural release 15 minutes, then quick release. Take them out of the pot, place on baking sheet lined with foil, slather with bbq and broil or bake 400 in the oven on a cookie sheet, until your bbq sauce is caramelized. They will be done and tender!

I have never sautéed in mine because I don't like to acrub pots and am afraid of getting a burn notice. I do that in a skillet and then put meat in my IP. One thing I have noticed is to use a bit less garlic when cooking under pressure as the flavor can get quite strong. Taking the first step is the hardest. You've got this!

I am a bit paranoid about meat being done and getting an instant read thermometer has changed my life! I poke that sucker in about 20 places to be sure it is all cooked! Lol.

I love my instant pots.you should do a water test.this will help you understand how the pot works. For cooking meat in the pot it is kind of backwards from cooking meat any other way. If you over cook it, it falls apart .if your meat is coming out tuff you did not cook it long enough.

Electronic pressure cookers are very safe: they are engineered to turn themselves off and not ‘blow a gasket’ like the pressure cookers of old.
I have never had an issue with any meat being underdone.
There are hundreds of tried and true recipes from reputable chefs online, and the library will have cookbooks, too.

Venting and sealing is just a matter of turning a knob to the proper position. When the pot builds up pressure it will lock and you won't be able to get the lid off til the pressure subsides. There's all kinds of safety features. So you don't have to be worried about it.
Do a recipe with a natural release to start with. You don't have to do anything to it. It just releases all the pressure naturally on its own.

Deep breathing exercises. Visualize your success. Focus on your goals, not your IP. Recognize your success. Imagine your IP in it's underwear.

Back