Instant Pot Duo Plus Spitting Liquid and Spices During Quick Release

exfornicator31

Question!!…. I’ve had my Instant Pot Duo Plus for about 3 years …hadn’t used a lot til this past year where I use it more regularly. The last couple times when Indona quick release ( acc to the recipe) I’m getting a lot of liquid spurting out along with ALOT of the spices. Is this normal or is my pot going bad?( pic is the lid after scraping all the spices back in my soup) and my soup is under the 1/2 mark so it’s not over filled.

For me a prefer to do at least a partial natural release on things like this that have a lot of liquids in them. Next time try letting it sit for 10-15 mins and then you can do a controlled release...where you let the steam out in little spurts by opening and closing the valve if it starts to spray. I think that will help:)

For things like soup I would do more of a controlled release. Instead of pushing down all the way for it to stay vented, I control how much I vent it and watch for liquid coming out. If liquid starts to come out of the vent I stop and then go back to lightly pressing the release button. Doing this controls how fast the pressure is released.

My great grandson and I made a goulash type of dish this evening it created some "spurt" because the liquid was ɓubbling when the pressure was fully released. Then he added tomatoes and beans the spurting never really stopped and felt it was from the bubbling, so did feel it was an issue

Pressure releases
natural release, where you let the pot cool for a specific amount of time before opening the valve (do nothing). this allows the steam inside to cool and condense back into liquid which in turn reduces the pressure. A full nr is where you leave it until the pin drops. usually chicken needs a 10 min nr, and beef 15. with meat, if you manually open the valve right away, the pressure is released at such a high rate it can literally depressurize the juices right out of the meat. Controlled release is also a good one to know how to do. It's where you open the valve only a tiny bit so a very weak stream of steam escapes, or you repeatedly open and close the valve in short bursts. you do this with anything starchy, or with a full pot, or anytime your pot tries to spew food out the valve. It happens, you will see it posted time and again! - It just doesn't ever need to happen  If it does, just close the valve, don't let it continue to make a mess, then do a controlled release. if keep warm function is on, you will have a handy timer as it count back up the lapsed time since cooking. keep warm itself doesn't kick on until the temp has lowered to 140 degrees!

Back