One Hour Soup Prep: 6 Varieties and Mirepoix for the Week – A Time-Saving, Waste-Reducing Approach!

liamkincaid

My 5 year old and I prepped 6 soups and one mirepoix in an hour. I used Costco sized carrots, celery, and Better than Bullion Vegetable flavor through all of it. I used our food processor to chop all the veggies, including what onions we had and Costco mushrooms. I am trying to cut down on food waste, so prepping and freezing has been helping with that for us. I dislike using plastic bags, but reuse them by sticking them back in the freezer right away until next use. The soups we made were:
-Minestrone
-Chili
-Italian Bean soup x 2
-Vegan chickpea, white bean, and brown rice
-Mejadra (Lebanese lentil and rice dish)
-One mirepoix to make shepherd's pie with this week, either with lentils or Beyond Meat (have tried both versions and they are delicious!)
The base of all soups was carrots, celery, onion, Better than Bullion Vegetable flavor, 1 tsp. black pepper, 2-3 garlic cloves. Usually I like to add mushrooms to most soups. From there, I stick with the flavor profile of the soup. I added a couple of tablespoons tomato paste to the tomato base ones and will add a can of diced tomatoes when I put it in (though that can be done ahead). I try to add all spices ahead, so I don't have to think about it when cooking in the instant pot. I add dried beans, either 2.5 or 3 cups per batch as I prefer more thick soups. Happy cooking!

1725771942544.png

1725771952950.png

Jennifer Donehoo if you have the space for a chest freezer they’re inexpensive and amaaaazing for prepping food and buying in bulk/portioning

Nice job!!
I will wash and dry my plastic bags for re-use, unless they've had meat in them, then they get tossed.

WOW!! BRAVO!! How terrific this is! The soups sound so good......especially the lentil. Such a great idea to prep like this. So cute your 5 year old helped you ❤

That is such a brilliant idea, and so cute of your 5 year old to help out!! I often struggle cooking enough with my busy job, so I bought the Instant Pot, then realized I also struggled to still prepare, this is such an inspiration for me on how I can finally prepare my meals better for IP cooking during the week, thanks for sharing!!

@j4ckrose I was struggling with days when we were sick, especially. So this is my second time doing this. The first time went so well and helped, so I decided to repeat it.

Back